What does an "Unlocked" phone mean?

Old April 22nd 04, 10:49 PM
Dan Graves

Default What does an "Unlocked" phone mean?

I see references to "Unlocked" phones. What does this mean?

Thanks,
Dan
Old April 23rd 04, 12:41 AM
PDA Man

Some carriers lock the SUBSIDY or SIM lock so that only their SIMS will be
operational in phones they sell.. Basic theory is to keep you from getting a
dirt cheap phone, and then going and activating with another carrier, and
they are out the money that they lost "subsidizing" the price of the phone
to entice you in as a customer. Also, keeps you from going to another
country, using PrePaid SIMS and cutting them out of their ROAMING income.
But they wont tell ya that one.
Some carriers, will give you the unlock code after you fulfill X amount of
days (TMOBILE is 90 days)or are at the end of your contract. (ATT wont if
you were dying) You can also pay someone to UNLOCK it, or do it yourself,
techniques vary by phone and manufacturer. Nowdays, its usually cheaper to
pay someone to do a single phone, unless it has an unlock site/calculator
available like most NOKIAs. Welcome to GSM

Old April 23rd 04, 02:10 AM
Dan Graves

Thanks for the info. I have a Nokia 6340i. How can I unlock it or find
the info on the web?

Thanks again,
Dan

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:41:38 -0400, "PDA Man" wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old April 23rd 04, 04:13 PM
Sensei S

Unlocked means you can take your GSM phone to any GSM provider you want.
For example, if you buy a motorola v400 with TMobile, you can switch
services to ATT and without any special modifications to the phone, you may
be able to insert the ATT sim card and have your service work.

Most providers sell you a phone which is LOCKED into them specifically so
that it would be a waste for you to buy their service with the phone, waste
money and switch providers. We call it a LOCK IN.

Old April 23rd 04, 05:43 PM
David

"Dan Graves" wrote in message
Thanks for the info. I have a Nokia 6340i. How can I unlock it or find
the info on the web?

Thanks again,
Dan

A search on Google using 'unlock nokia' found several sites offering
information. I am afraid you will have to do the rest of the research
yourself ;-)

Old April 7th 14, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Graves View Post
I see references to "Unlocked" phones. What does this mean? Thanks, Dan
Hi unlocked phone is nothing but your phone is free to any GSM sim in any countries .Most phones comes to market as locked to particular network provider due to this you can't use those phones with other network sim until you unlock it .You can easily unlock phone using network unlock code .You can purchase code from sites like ProUnlocking.com here they are rendering unlock code for all mobile models at reliable cost ...