FINALLY: free iPhone software unlock is here!

Old September 12th 07, 06:49 PM posted to alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.t-mobile,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Tinman

Default FINALLY: free iPhone software unlock is here!

Tutorial:
http://iphone.unlock.no/
"First, thanks to everyone who made this possible. Iphone Dev team, geohot
and his "crew", Iphonesimfree :P and all others."

More info:
http://www.modmyiphone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4852

It works, it's free, and it's software.

--
Mike

Old September 12th 07, 07:58 PM posted to alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.t-mobile,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
SMS

Tinman wrote:
Tutorial:
http://iphone.unlock.no/
"First, thanks to everyone who made this possible. Iphone Dev team, geohot
and his "crew", Iphonesimfree :P and all others."

More info:
http://www.modmyiphone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4852

It works, it's free, and it's software.

That's good news. The unlockers around here are charging $100 to $125 to
do an unlock. At $350 for an 8GB model using the $50 discount, it's
mighty tempting, especially being able to use it on T-Mobile prepaid.
Old September 12th 07, 08:28 PM posted to alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.t-mobile,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
[email protected]

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:49:56 -0700, "Tinman" wrote:

Tutorial:
http://iphone.unlock.no/
"First, thanks to everyone who made this possible. Iphone Dev team, geohot
and his "crew", Iphonesimfree :P and all others."

More info:
http://www.modmyiphone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4852

It works, it's free, and it's software.

Looks good to me. I'll wait a month and read reports.

If the phone is unlocked one could keep their old non-data plan and
use the iPhone only with WiFi by inserting a working AT&T SIM ?
Old September 12th 07, 09:04 PM posted to alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.t-mobile,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Michael Paris

" That's good news. The unlockers around here are charging $100 to $125 to
do an unlock. At $350 for an 8GB model using the $50 discount, it's mighty
tempting, especially being able to use it on T-Mobile prepaid.

I agree and whats more, I'm thinking of doing this and I have AT&T. But for
a few reason's, I don't wish to extend my contract (minor but nevertheless a
nice thing). I have a corporate discount plan, wish I would lose on my
whole plan, which I have three other phones, and two of those have data
plans, this amounts to a significant savings. And finally I have a Cingular
8525 which I like and wish to continue to use with hsdpa, and have 1500
texts included.

Old September 12th 07, 10:18 PM posted to alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.t-mobile,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
SMS

Michael Paris wrote:

" That's good news. The unlockers around here are charging $100 to $125 to
do an unlock. At $350 for an 8GB model using the $50 discount, it's
mighty tempting, especially being able to use it on T-Mobile prepaid.

I agree and whats more, I'm thinking of doing this and I have AT&T. But
for a few reason's, I don't wish to extend my contract (minor but
nevertheless a nice thing). I have a corporate discount plan, wish I
would lose on my whole plan, which I have three other phones, and two of
those have data plans, this amounts to a significant savings. And
finally I have a Cingular 8525 which I like and wish to continue to use
with hsdpa, and have 1500 texts included.

someday soon there will be an iPhone with HSDPA, official tethering
rather than hacked, and the ability to use it on corporate discount
plans. Perhaps the price-slashing on the iPhone was also an indication
that the next generation model with HSDPA is not far off.
Old September 12th 07, 10:57 PM posted to alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.t-mobile,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Steve Carroll

In article ,
"Michael Paris" wrote:

" That's good news. The unlockers around here are charging $100 to $125 to
do an unlock. At $350 for an 8GB model using the $50 discount, it's mighty
tempting, especially being able to use it on T-Mobile prepaid.

I agree and whats more, I'm thinking of doing this and I have AT&T. But for
a few reason's, I don't wish to extend my contract (minor but nevertheless a
nice thing). I have a corporate discount plan, wish I would lose on my
whole plan, which I have three other phones, and two of those have data
plans, this amounts to a significant savings. And finally I have a Cingular
8525 which I like and wish to continue to use with hsdpa, and have 1500
texts included.

This is the one thing I dislike like about the iPhone (being locked in to AT&T).
Despite this condition there are still hard core zealots that seem to believe
this is a plus... and they have the most bizarre arguments for it.

--
"None of you can be honest... you are all pathetic." - Snit
"I do not KF people" - Snit
Old September 13th 07, 12:41 AM posted to alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.t-mobile,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
R. P.

"SMS" wrote:
That's good news. The unlockers around here are charging $100 to $125
to do an unlock. At $350 for an 8GB model using the $50 discount, it's
mighty tempting, especially being able to use it on T-Mobile prepaid.

On the other hand, beware of strangers bringing you gift (especially
software) ... P. R.

Old September 13th 07, 01:39 AM posted to alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.t-mobile,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Tinman

"R. P." wrote:
"SMS" wrote:
That's good news. The unlockers around here are charging $100 to $125 to
do an unlock. At $350 for an 8GB model using the $50 discount, it's
mighty tempting, especially being able to use it on T-Mobile prepaid.

On the other hand, beware of strangers bringing you gift (especially
software) ... P. R.

Two words: open source.

--
Mike

Old September 13th 07, 04:23 AM posted to alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.t-mobile,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Michael Paris

someday soon there will be an iPhone with HSDPA, official tethering rather
than hacked, and the ability to use it on corporate discount plans.
Perhaps the price-slashing on the iPhone was also an indication that the
next generation model with HSDPA is not far off.

Good point, I can wait, no rush. Besides, wife's old V551 is on it's last
legs, got a thing for a free Samsung Sync, both my kids use them and they
and she likes it. So might go in and get it. Good thing too, because one
has red, the other has black, and will get her blue, this way easy to tell
who's phone is who's, as well as sharing chargers, from car to home.

Old September 13th 07, 05:13 AM posted to alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.t-mobile,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
[email protected]

On Sep 12, 11:49 am, "Tinman" wrote:
Tutorial:http://iphone.unlock.no/
"First, thanks to everyone who made this possible. Iphone Dev team, geohot
and his "crew", Iphonesimfree :P and all others."

More info:http://www.modmyiphone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4852

It works, it's free, and it's software.

--
Mike