Voicemail icon / function on Nokia ?

Old September 19th 05, 03:34 AM
Martin²

Default Voicemail icon / function on Nokia ?

My family uses lot of (free) voice mail on OVP Virgin.
Our old Ericsson phones bleep and display "New voice mail, check ?" and
pressing the Yes button will connect you to the voice mail. It also has an
icon indicating incoming voice mail (different from SMS one.)
Two of the 4 year old Ericssons now started to play up.
There are no simple, cheap SE phones to be found.

As Nokia's are reputedly more reliable I acquired an 1100.
On the 1100, when a voice mail arrives, it bleeps, displays the SMS icon and
says 1 unread message, the select button says "Read" but the message is
blank. You have to ring 123 to get your voice mail and after you finish you
get another blank SMS !

Do ALL Nokia's work in this silly fashion ?
What about other makes ?
TIA
Regards,
Martin

Old September 19th 05, 08:37 AM
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Martin²:
My family uses lot of (free) voice mail on OVP Virgin.
Our old Ericsson phones bleep and display "New voice mail, check ?"
and pressing the Yes button will connect you to the voice mail. It
also has an icon indicating incoming voice mail (different from SMS
one.) Two of the 4 year old Ericssons now started to play up.
There are no simple, cheap SE phones to be found.

As Nokia's are reputedly more reliable I acquired an 1100.
On the 1100, when a voice mail arrives, it bleeps, displays the SMS
icon and says 1 unread message, the select button says "Read" but the
message is blank. You have to ring 123 to get your voice mail and
after you finish you get another blank SMS !

Do ALL Nokia's work in this silly fashion ?
What about other makes ?
TIA
Regards,
Martin

No, all Nokia's work in the proper fashion and display the voicemail spool
icon and displays new voice message waiting - or similar.

Though if you are on O2 or have not set Vodafone up correctly you will get the
SMS version - whether you use a Nokia phone or any other phone.

Originally only Orange and One2One/T-Mobile used the voicemail spool system,
Vodafone added this feature not that long back.

Old September 19th 05, 10:11 AM
Chris Mayers

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
Thus spaketh Martin²:
[...]

Hmm, but this doesn't sound like SMS notification of voice mail. When I used
to have my voicemail configured that way, the SMS used to say somthing like
'You Have a Voice Message' it wasn't blank. Sounds to me like the network
messages that are supposed to turn the 'spool' symbol on and off are being
received by the phone as texts???
Don't know much about 1100s, but is that an older phone? and/or maybe the
firmware doesn't support the 'spool' symbol so is displaying the network
messages as texts(?)
Anyone know if this is the case?

--
Remove Elvis's shoes to reply.

Old September 19th 05, 07:07 PM
ƧØ̃

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:30:42 +0100, Jon
wrote:

declared for all the world to hear...
Do ALL Nokia's work in this silly fashion ?

Only ones which are not PCHS enabled.

What about other makes ?

Same thing applies, need to be CPHS compatible. Google for it if you
don't know what it is.

Basically the network can control the handset options via the SIM card
in a CPHS-compliant phone. Phones sourced from Orange or T-Mobile
will be, others not.

If you bought your handsets unlocked, and not as part of a contact or
PAYG package, most likely these will not be compatible with display of
the voicemail spool as they are vanilla GSM stock, and won't have had
the flag set to make them CPHS compliant. All will be capable of it,
just not set to do it.
Old September 20th 05, 04:23 AM
Martin²

Gents, thanks for the replies, I have learned a bit, but remain confounded.

The Nokia 1100 is one of the latest.

I will be scouring the mob phones specs for CPHS.

And finally, yes, I bought the phone unlocked.
So how do I get the flag set to make it CPHS compliant ?
(Preferably without locking it to Orange).
TIA
Regards,
Martin

SBLOCCO SonyEricsson e Motorola BOLOGNA FERRARA MODENA sbloccoz1010 Motorola 2 July 21st 11 12:25 PM
where to buy battries for 3210/3410 PeterL Nokia 2 May 30th 11 01:37 PM
After the P910i? Andy Turner Ericsson 7 December 29th 04 12:05 PM
Waiting for the 9500.... Alan Sadler Nokia 2 December 29th 04 11:38 AM
Can you transfer multiple Vcards to V600 [email protected] Motorola 1 December 29th 04 11:32 AM