"SIM free" and unlocked is there a difference?

Old January 26th 04, 06:09 PM
Tenex

Default "SIM free" and unlocked is there a difference?

Joseph wrote:
Sorry if this is a naive question, but is there a difference between a
phone that is "SIM free" and a phone that is unlocked

Small print. Some use SIM free to suggest unlocked. A phone can be SIM
free and still locked to a network. Check before you buy.

Old January 26th 04, 08:45 PM
Bad Obsession

from what ive seen unlocked means as is that it isnt locked to a network sim
free on the other hand often means the same, but when people are selling 2nd
hand phones e.g. on ebay they often use the sim free to indicate that their
is no sim included.

"Joseph" wrote in message
Sorry if this is a naive question, but is there a difference between a
phone that is "SIM free" and a phone that is unlocked or do the terms
generally mean the same thing. The term SIM free is generally not
used on the west side of the pond, but I see ads touting that a phone
for sale is SIM free on ebay.co.uk and in amazon.co.uk. I just
assumed that this was the same as unlocked, but also wondered if it
just meant that someone was selling a phone and you had to provide
your own SIM.

TIA
remove NO from .NOcom to reply

Old January 26th 04, 08:48 PM
Albrow, Sam J

"Joseph" wrote in message
Sorry if this is a naive question, but is there a difference between a
phone that is "SIM free" and a phone that is unlocked or do the terms
generally mean the same thing.

Generally they both mean the same thing - a phone sold without a sim is
exactly that - 'SIM Free' would however normally refer to one that has never
had a sim whilst technically unlocked implies it was previously locked so
may actually have network branding as opposed to being as from manafacturer.

I would say though that any subtle differences aren't set in stone and that
they are the same thing, but you should check with the seller that any phone
(particuarly if it isn't brand new) is completly unbranded - this means no
branded start up screens or badges.

In terms of operation any phone that isn't locked however its described will
work on any GSM network operating on the frequencies the phone is designed
to.

The term SIM free is generally not
used on the west side of the pond, but I see ads touting that a phone
for sale is SIM free on ebay.co.uk and in amazon.co.uk. I just
assumed that this was the same as unlocked, but also wondered if it
just meant that someone was selling a phone and you had to provide
your own SIM.

The phone the person is selling as 'sim free' should not require a specific
providers sim unless specified and is accepted as meaning unlocked. Do
however confirm and also note that in the uk it is not a good idea to buy
second hand phones from untrusted \ unknown sources because of fraud and
IMEI blocking of stolen phones. Do research the seller carefully and
remember you aren't buying from ebay.co.uk etc on auction sites, you are
buying from private individuals often.

Sam

TIA

Old January 27th 04, 12:43 AM
Steve Terry

"Joseph" wrote in message
Sorry if this is a naive question, but is there a difference between a
phone that is "SIM free" and a phone that is unlocked or do the terms
generally mean the same thing. The term SIM free is generally not
used on the west side of the pond, but I see ads touting that a phone
for sale is SIM free on ebay.co.uk and in amazon.co.uk. I just
assumed that this was the same as unlocked, but also wondered if it
just meant that someone was selling a phone and you had to provide
your own SIM.
TIA

Sim free, usually means a phone that has never belonged to a network,
is not the responsibility of a network, and so can't be blacklisted by any.

An unlocked phone can be blacklisted by it's original network,
so you have to trust the original owner.

Steve Terry

Old January 27th 04, 01:38 PM
steeler

"Joseph" wrote in message
Sorry if this is a naive question, but is there a difference between a
phone that is "SIM free" and a phone that is unlocked or do the terms
generally mean the same thing. The term SIM free is generally not
used on the west side of the pond, but I see ads touting that a phone
for sale is SIM free on ebay.co.uk and in amazon.co.uk. I just
assumed that this was the same as unlocked, but also wondered if it
just meant that someone was selling a phone and you had to provide
your own SIM.

Unlocked means it was once locked to a network. Sim free means it never
was. Both phones take all sims but the sim free guarantee no network
branding.

These are the terms used on the high street. Ebay sellers oftem misuse the
terms.