Locked phone is not all bad if roaming doen't cost extra.

Old December 6th 03, 09:13 PM
stanley

Default Locked phone is not all bad if roaming doen't cost extra.

"N9WOS" wrote in message
Just activated a Cingular provider locked phone on Callplus (
reseller of Global or AT&TW prepaid service) . It has a beneficial
side effect in my area (Birmingham Alabama), of keeping the phone on
Cingular and will not switch to AT&TW. The Cingular network has better
coverage here and the locked phone works better than the unlocked
phone ( I have both too allow me local numbers in Colorado and
Florida).

How did you reprogram the phone to the callplus service if it's

locked?????
*#639# = new NAM Enter

Or are you just talking about the IRDB????????

I was not talking about IRDB???????? (as I have no idea what that is)
What brand and model is the phone?

Nokia 5160i locked phone
Ericsson LX677 unlocked phone

I was not sure the phone was locked to the provider Cingular until
after it was activated and I noticed it's behavior vs the other phone.

*#639# = new NAM Enter

I was not sure the phone was locked to the provider Cingular until
after it was activated and I noticed it's behavior vs the other phone.

You can't really lock that type of phone.
Just enter *3001#12345#
You will see a menu for "NAM 1", "NAM2", "Security".....(on and on)
Select NAM1 (Or the nam that you have callplus on)
Make sure the nam is programmed right.
Then go to "change defaults"
make sure the phone is scanning the right home channel.
If that doesn't help, then you need to have the IRDB updated.

Or are you just talking about the IRDB????????

I was not talking about IRDB???????? (as I have no idea what that is)

IRDB "Intelligent roaming data base"

Old December 7th 03, 12:04 AM
Dave Markson

You can't really lock that type of phone.
Just enter *3001#12345#
You will see a menu for "NAM 1", "NAM2", "Security".....(on and on)
Select NAM1 (Or the nam that you have callplus on)
Make sure the nam is programmed right.
Then go to "change defaults"
make sure the phone is scanning the right home channel.
If that doesn't help, then you need to have the IRDB updated.

Typically the TDMA phones are "SOC" locked in that you can not change the SOC
(you can only view it). It the phone finds a signal with that SOC it will use
it and disregard everything else.

From what I've read the new provider can change the SOC OTA if they want to.

--
Dave
Visit my New England Cell Phone Page at
Old December 7th 03, 02:01 AM
N9WOS

"Dave Markson" wrote in message
You can't really lock that type of phone.
Just enter *3001#12345#
You will see a menu for "NAM 1", "NAM2", "Security".....(on and on)
Select NAM1 (Or the nam that you have callplus on)
Make sure the nam is programmed right.
Then go to "change defaults"
make sure the phone is scanning the right home channel.
If that doesn't help, then you need to have the IRDB updated.

Typically the TDMA phones are "SOC" locked in that you can not change the

SOC
(you can only view it). It the phone finds a signal with that SOC it

will use
it and disregard everything else.

From what I've read the new provider can change the SOC OTA if they want

to.

That is what I mean by, "You can't really lock that type of phone."
The MIN, SID, and other stuff is accessible with the simple programming
code.
There is no subsidy lock code that you have to know.
(That is assuming that no one put in custom firmware. ie tracfone)
And if the SOC is locked.
It will be overridden when the carrier pushes the new IRDB onto the phone.
And the IRDB is programmed over the air.

Old December 7th 03, 04:21 PM
stanley

N9WOS:
Make sure the nam is programmed right.
Then go to "change defaults"
make sure the phone is scanning the right home channel.

Home system ID = 579 ( it appears changeable but I don't know what it
should be)
Own number correct.
(P/RSID1) have total of 5
System type Residential
Psid/Rsid 0
Connected system ID 0
Alpha tag HI
Operator code (soc) 0
Country code 0

(defaults)
NAM status Enabled
Access method 1
Local option 1
Primary paging channel 333
Secondary paging ch 708
Dedicated A cch 333
Dedicated A cch number 20
Dedicated B cch 334
Dedicated B cch number 20
Overload class 0
Group ID 10
SID alpha tag control Enabled
A-key code (blank)
Public systems Enabled
Private systems Enabled
Residentential systems Enabled

If that doesn't help, then you need to have the IRDB updated.

I wonder if I need to be on the AT&T for that to work, catch-22?

snip next reply
Dave:

That will work as long as AT&T has a roaming agreement with Cingular

in all the
markets you visit where Cingular provides TDMA service.

As I said before this behavior does have an advantage for my present
location, but would like to be able to chage it back and forth as
needed, as a prepaid phone my libility for roaming charges is low
$11. Would think that if no roaming agreement then either no service
or the first call would wipe out the balance.

Thanks for all the info, I'am a computer programmer and not a Cell
phone programer so I may not understand all of it, but would like to.
Old December 7th 03, 07:13 PM
N9WOS

I see problems.

Home system ID = 579 ( it appears changeable but

I don't know what it should be)

That is a SID for ATT in Tyler Texas
For Birmingham Alabama.
AT&T 4313: PCS
Cingular 98: AMPS/TDMA B side
Verizon, 113:. AMPS/CDMA A side

From that, I can tell why it is doing that.
It finds nothing that matches it's SID, so it
goes to the first digital carrier it finds.
That being cingular on the B side.
Try the other SIDs to see what it does.
First off, try verizon's sid to see if the phone
will go to analog and use verizon's system.
If it will do that, then it isn't soc locked.
Then try AT&T's SID.
I don't really know what else(if anything) you need to
program into a nokia to lock onto a native PCS carrier,
because I have never ever really used a native PCS carrier here.
:-(

Another question, do you have any menus to select the preferred system?
(ie) PCS only, cellular only, home type, nonhome type...... (on and on.)
Go to the menu, go to settings, see if there is a "network services" then go
to it.
See if there is a "public system selection"
Then see what your choices are.

Own number correct.

(P/RSID1) have total of 5
System type Residential
Psid/Rsid 0
Connected system ID 0
Alpha tag HI
Operator code (soc) 0
Country code 0

Those are left at 0 when "PSID/RSID"s are not in use.

(defaults)
NAM status Enabled
Access method 1
Local option 1
Primary paging channel 333

333 for system A
334 for system B

Secondary paging ch 708

708 for system A
737 for system B

Dedicated A cch 333
Dedicated A cch number 20
Dedicated B cch 334
Dedicated B cch number 20
Overload class 0
Group ID 10
SID alpha tag control Enabled
A-key code (blank)
Public systems Enabled
Private systems Enabled
Residentential systems Enabled

If that doesn't help, then you need to have the IRDB updated.

I wonder if I need to be on the AT&T for that to work, catch-22?

Yes.

Old December 7th 03, 07:43 PM
N9WOS

...........edit.............
Another question, do you have any menus to select the preferred system?
(ie) PCS only, cellular only, home type, nonhome type...... (on and on.)
Go to the menu, go to settings, see if there is a "network services" then

go
to it.
See if there is a "public system selection"
Then see what your choices are.

The 5160 menus are a bit different.

The info I have says that it
is main menu option 5
Then you can run a search.
And you have the options of.....
Automatic
Manual
New

Old December 7th 03, 10:01 PM
stanley

I see problems.

Home system ID = 579 ( it appears changeable but

I don't know what it should be)

That is a SID for ATT in Tyler Texas

I wanted 904 but got a 903 number so Tyler Texas is correct.

For Birmingham Alabama.
AT&T 4313: PCS
Cingular 98: AMPS/TDMA B side
Verizon, 113:. AMPS/CDMA A side

From that, I can tell why it is doing that.
It finds nothing that matches it's SID, so it
goes to the first digital carrier it finds.
That being cingular on the B side.
Try the other SIDs to see what it does.
First off, try verizon's sid to see if the phone
will go to analog and use verizon's system.
If it will do that, then it isn't soc locked.
Then try AT&T's SID.

no change the SID doesn't effect it it ends up on cingular, the
verizon option seems to take a little longer after power up. I made
sure to match the channel #s for A and B side.

I don't really know what else(if anything) you need to
program into a nokia to lock onto a native PCS carrier,
because I have never ever really used a native PCS carrier here.
:-(

Another question, do you have any menus to select the preferred

system?
(ie) PCS only, cellular only, home type, nonhome type...... (on and

on.)
Go to the menu, go to settings, see if there is a "network services"

then go
to it.
See if there is a "public system selection"
Then see what your choices are.

no just Residential or private

snip
The 5160 menus are a bit different.

The info I have says that it
is main menu option 5
Then you can run a search.
And you have the options of.....
Automatic
Manual
New

Tried them all Cingular is the only choice ( I think this phone is
locked ).
Old December 7th 03, 10:33 PM
N9WOS

Tried them all Cingular is the only choice ( I think this phone is
locked ).

Bummer.... :-(

Old December 7th 03, 11:03 PM
stanley

snip
N9WOS:
AT&T 4313: PCS
Cingular 98: AMPS/TDMA B side
Verizon, 113:. AMPS/CDMA A side

I see that Cingular is 800Mhz TDMA and AT&T is 1900Mhz that must
explain the difference in coverage here. Guess if I activate one of my
Nokia 5120's then it would be on Cingular as well because it doesn't
do 1900Mhz. So another way to select your provider with callplus/at&t
prepaid is by phone you use. Not sure if the list includes a 1900Mhz
only phone but here is a list of phones they will activate
http://www.ecallplus.com/page8.html .