"unlocking" a phone...

Old August 12th 03, 06:56 AM
JBS

Default "unlocking" a phone...

What is that? I keep seeing bits and pieces about it, but no real
explanation. Do i need it?
Thanks,
james

Old August 12th 03, 09:44 AM
Tony Clark

Phones that you obtain through your service provider are usually "locked" to
that provider so that you cannot use that phone with another service. It's
to prevent people from getting cheap phones and then canceling the service
and moving to another carrier. Unlocking makes this possible. Some carriers
will unlock the phones for you after your initial service agreement expires.
Many won't.

Cheers
TC

news:[email protected]

Old August 12th 03, 09:44 AM
Tony Clark

Phones that you obtain through your service provider are usually "locked" to
that provider so that you cannot use that phone with another service. It's
to prevent people from getting cheap phones and then canceling the service
and moving to another carrier. Unlocking makes this possible. Some carriers
will unlock the phones for you after your initial service agreement expires.
Many won't.

Cheers
TC

news:[email protected]

Old August 12th 03, 12:01 PM
m thaler

Of the 3 major GSM providers in the U.S., (Cingular, ATT and
T-Mobile) - only ATT does not unlock phones.

...mike

"Tony Clark" wrote in article
. net:
Phones that you obtain through your service provider are usually "locked" to
that provider so that you cannot use that phone with another service. It's
to prevent people from getting cheap phones and then canceling the service
and moving to another carrier. Unlocking makes this possible. Some carriers
will unlock the phones for you after your initial service agreement expires.
Many won't.

Cheers
TC

"JBS" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
What is that? I keep seeing bits and pieces about it, but no real
explanation. Do i need it?
Thanks,
james

[posted via phonescoop.com - free web access to the alt.cellular groups]
Old August 12th 03, 12:01 PM
m thaler

Of the 3 major GSM providers in the U.S., (Cingular, ATT and
T-Mobile) - only ATT does not unlock phones.

...mike

"Tony Clark" wrote in article
. net:
Phones that you obtain through your service provider are usually "locked" to
that provider so that you cannot use that phone with another service. It's
to prevent people from getting cheap phones and then canceling the service
and moving to another carrier. Unlocking makes this possible. Some carriers
will unlock the phones for you after your initial service agreement expires.
Many won't.

Cheers
TC

news:[email protected]

Old August 12th 03, 01:03 PM
John S.

What is that? I keep seeing bits and pieces about it, but no real
explanation. Do i need it?

Probably never will need it.

Typically the conversation is about GSM phones and the subsidy lock that the
carriers put on the phone. They put a lock on the phone to prevent you from
using another companies SIM in the phone.

Now if you are planning to use the GSM phone overseas you will probably want
the phone unlocked so you can buy a prepaid SIM in that foreign country.

--
John S.

Old September 27th 14, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by JBS View Post
What is that? I keep seeing bits and pieces about it, but no real
explanation. Do i need it?
Thanks,
james
Hi unlocking a phone is nothing but removing network restriction from it due to this you can freely use the phone with any GSM sim ..Most phones come to market as locked one with some particular network provider due to this they wont accept any other GSM sim until you unlock it ..You can easily unlock the phone using network unlock code ..You can purchase code from sites like UnBBLock.com here they are rendering network unlock code for all blackberry mobile models at reliable cost ..Else if you want to unlock some other mobile model then visit sites like Unlock-Zone.com here they are rendering network unlock code for all mobile models at reliable cost .You first verify that whether the code is available for your mobile model ,country and network provider .If yes then pay for it and unlock your phone then freely use it with any GSM sim ...