Do they make a Motorola RAZR 5-pin USB 2.0 to mini-USB cable?

Old April 3rd 13, 11:17 PM posted to alt.cellular.t-mobile,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.tech
SMS

Default Do they make a Motorola RAZR 5-pin USB 2.0 to mini-USB cable?

On 3/28/2013 6:57 AM, andrew s wrote:
Among my mini & micro USB devices, I have a Motorola RAZR that I want to
charge in my 2.1 Amp USB car cigarette adapter.

Everything charges with this setup EXCEPT the Motorola RAZR V3.

Digging into why, apparently Motorola uses a 5-wire cable instead of
a 4 wire cable.

How do I find a 5-wire USB2.0-to-mini-USB cable?

Googling, I find tons of cables, but none SAY how many wires they have.

What you need is one of these
http://dx.com/p/mini-usb-power-connector-for-moto-v3-32583 which they
no longer sell. It modifies the Mini USB connector so the phone will
charge from a standard Mini USB charger or USB-A to Mini-USB cable. I've
used these successfully.

If you could find a Mini USB cable with five wires you could modify it
as described at
http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-A-N/razrv3_charger_pinout.shtml but
you're unlikely to find such a cable unless you cut one off of a
Motorola compatible car charger (not sure if the resistor is inside the
Mini USB plug or inside the charger).
Old April 5th 13, 08:59 PM posted to alt.cellular.t-mobile,alt.cellular.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Francis C.

sms wrote:

If you could find a Mini USB cable with five wires you could modify it
as described at
http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-A-N/razrv3_charger_pinout.shtml but
you're unlikely to find such a cable unless you cut one off of a
Motorola compatible car charger (not sure if the resistor is inside the
Mini USB plug or inside the charger).

I was worried about that RESISTOR!

Nobody mentioned it, but you - but I did see the resistor in the original
specification!

So, can you confirm that simply getting a 5-pin cable won't help. Right?

It has to be a 5-pin cable with the Motorola-sized RESISTOR in it, right?

Old April 5th 13, 10:22 PM posted to alt.cellular.t-mobile,alt.cellular.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
SMS

On 4/5/2013 11:59 AM, Francis C. wrote:
sms wrote:

If you could find a Mini USB cable with five wires you could modify it
as described at
http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-A-N/razrv3_charger_pinout.shtml but
you're unlikely to find such a cable unless you cut one off of a
Motorola compatible car charger (not sure if the resistor is inside the
Mini USB plug or inside the charger).

I was worried about that RESISTOR!

Nobody mentioned it, but you - but I did see the resistor in the original
specification!

So, can you confirm that simply getting a 5-pin cable won't help. Right?

That's correct. But it's the wrong question. The USB-A side is only four
pins so a cable with a five pin Mini-USB plug will have only four wires,
there's just no place for the fifth wire to connect. Unless it's a cable
specifically designed to solve the Motorola problem.

On the Motorola chargers, it's a five wire cable into the charger where
the resistor is located.

Try this cable: http://www.thecellguru.com/Products/5974.

It has to be a 5-pin cable with the Motorola-sized RESISTOR in it, right?

Old April 5th 13, 10:26 PM posted to alt.cellular.t-mobile,alt.cellular.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
William Sommerwerck

Have you contacted Motorola to find out /exactly/ what cable is needed?

I believe the resistor is needed to "clue" the power supply that something
that "wants" to be charged is connected.

Cables are cheap. I'd buy one and see what happens.

By the way, the USB-cabled charger for my Samsung cell phone will also charge
my Garmin GPS. Very handy.

Old April 6th 13, 07:39 AM posted to alt.cellular.t-mobile,alt.cellular.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Francis C.

William Sommerwerck wrote:

I believe the resistor is needed to "clue" the power supply that
something that "wants" to be charged is connected.

I'm confused because I just tested a "normal" cable and this was
my observation:

Motorola RAZR V3 connected to wall-wart USB charger -- fail
Motorola RAZR V3 connected to automotive USB charger -- fail
Motorola RAZR V3 connected directly to Linux PC -- charged!

The weird thing is that I used the same cable for all 3 tests!

Old April 6th 13, 07:45 AM posted to alt.cellular.t-mobile,alt.cellular.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Francis C.

sms wrote:

On the Motorola chargers, it's a five wire cable into the charger where
the resistor is located.

Try this cable: http://www.thecellguru.com/Products/5974.

I'm sorry - but I'm still confused, especially after reading one of the
reviews at that web site which said "This cable works to charge my
Motorola Razr v3 from a USB port without needing the Motorola charging
software."

To my knowledge, I don't have any "motorola charging software" on my
Linux laptop - but I just plugged in a standard mini-USB cable (USB 2.0
on one end, mini-USB on the other) and it charged the Motorola RAZR V3.

Then I took the exact same setup, and plugged it into a wall-wart USB
charger, and it failed. Likewise with the cigarette lighter USB charger
in my car.

Clearly this cable does NOT have the resistor (it's a generic USB cable),
and I don't know that motorola phone tools was ever installed. Looking
on my system (using updatedb) I see there are "some" files with the
word "motorola" in them, e.g.,
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-279.1.1.el6.x86_64/include/config/usb/serial/
motorola.h

But, no specific motorola software seems to be installed - yet - the
4-pin cable is charging the phone. How is that?

Old April 6th 13, 06:48 PM posted to alt.cellular.t-mobile,alt.cellular.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
SMS

On 4/5/2013 10:45 PM, Francis C. wrote:

To my knowledge, I don't have any "motorola charging software" on my
Linux laptop - but I just plugged in a standard mini-USB cable (USB 2.0
on one end, mini-USB on the other) and it charged the Motorola RAZR V3.

I suspect that Linux includes the Motorola USB drivers that enable
charging from a USB port. Windows doesn't.

Then I took the exact same setup, and plugged it into a wall-wart USB
charger, and it failed. Likewise with the cigarette lighter USB charger
in my car.

Clearly this cable does NOT have the resistor (it's a generic USB cable),
and I don't know that motorola phone tools was ever installed. Looking
on my system (using updatedb) I see there are "some" files with the
word "motorola" in them, e.g.,
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-279.1.1.el6.x86_64/include/config/usb/serial/
motorola.h

That looks like the Motorola USB driver.

You could sacrifice an old Motorola car charger or home charger to get
half of the proper 5 pin Mini USB cable and solder it to a USB A cable
and put in the resistor. Or buy the appropriate cable.

BTW, on my Google Nexus tablet, it won't charge from a standard USB
cable connected to a USB charger. I have to short the USB data pins to
get it to charge.

The reason Motorola and Asus and other manufacturers do this sort of
thing is not just to be annoying and to sell more of their own chargers.
The device needs to know how much current the charger can provide. A USB
port needs to provide 500mA but the reality is that many USB chargers
can provide much more the minimum, and even many computer USB ports can
provide much more than the minimum. The device can charge at a higher
rate if it knows the charger can provide higher current.

"According to the spec sheet for the Enhanced Mini USB interface
circuit, shorting pin 2 to pin 3 (the data lines) and putting a resistor
of 200kOhm on the ID pin x to pin GND will put the phone into Dumb
Mid-Rate Charger (500mA) mode with 1.225 volts on pin x. Putting a
440kOhm resistor on pin x to pin GND will put the phone into Dumb Fast
Charger (1.25A) mode with 1.68 volts on pin x."

Old April 6th 13, 08:25 PM posted to alt.cellular.t-mobile,alt.cellular.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd[_4_]

On 04/05/2013 01:59 PM, Francis C. wrote:
sms wrote:

If you could find a Mini USB cable with five wires you could modify it
as described at
http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-A-N/razrv3_charger_pinout.shtml but
you're unlikely to find such a cable unless you cut one off of a
Motorola compatible car charger (not sure if the resistor is inside the
Mini USB plug or inside the charger).

I was worried about that RESISTOR!

Nobody mentioned it, but you - but I did see the resistor in the original
specification!

So, can you confirm that simply getting a 5-pin cable won't help. Right?

It has to be a 5-pin cable with the Motorola-sized RESISTOR in it, right?

I have a later Motorola phone (W766) which usually requires a "charge
only" USB cable, which has the data lines shorted on the phone end.
Perhaps that would work with the RAZR.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Well, it's a type 'M' planet, so it should at least have
Roddenberries." -- Turanga Leela, Futurama
Old April 6th 13, 08:40 PM posted to alt.cellular.t-mobile,alt.cellular.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

sms wrote:

If you could find a Mini USB cable with five wires you could modify it
as described at
http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-A-N/razrv3_charger_pinout.shtml but
you're unlikely to find such a cable unless you cut one off of a
Motorola compatible car charger (not sure if the resistor is inside the
Mini USB plug or inside the charger).

I was worried about that RESISTOR!

Nobody mentioned it, but you - but I did see the resistor in the original
specification!

So, can you confirm that simply getting a 5-pin cable won't help. Right?

It has to be a 5-pin cable with the Motorola-sized RESISTOR in it, right?

I have a later Motorola phone (W766) which usually requires a "charge
only" USB cable, which has the data lines shorted on the phone end.
Perhaps that would work with the RAZR.

Hi,
There are proper ones aplenty on eBay.
Old April 7th 13, 01:35 AM posted to alt.cellular.t-mobile,alt.cellular.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Mark Zenier

In article , Francis C. wrote:
William Sommerwerck wrote:

I believe the resistor is needed to "clue" the power supply that
something that "wants" to be charged is connected.

I'm confused because I just tested a "normal" cable and this was
my observation:

Motorola RAZR V3 connected to wall-wart USB charger -- fail
Motorola RAZR V3 connected to automotive USB charger -- fail
Motorola RAZR V3 connected directly to Linux PC -- charged!

The weird thing is that I used the same cable for all 3 tests!

USB has power control from the host. The Linux system is going to
interrogate the phone and set up the internal hub/controller to whatever
power level the phone wants.

A brainless charger can't do that negotiation. So there has to be a
setup where the phone will sense the resistor and see that it's hooked
up to a brainless charger and just go ahead and charge.

Mark Zenier