Mobile phone that can be used in Ireland and US

Old September 14th 12, 10:54 AM
kriszta kriszta is offline

Default Mobile phone that can be used in Ireland and US

Is there a mobile phone technology that can be used in UK and US? I have an Irish vodafone and O2 mobile. Top up. I will be spending an unknown period of time in the US and I will need to be able to be contacted on my Irish mobiles.Or is there a phone,smart phone, that I can retain my Irish numbers and be able to use it in the US? I have made trips to the US and was not able to receive texts in US. Could someone advise me what my best option would be? Smart technology seems like a good option as I could use skype and internet but is it possible to have my Irish numbers on it,so that calls/texts made from Ireland are directed to it? Clueless about the technological advances!
Old September 14th 12, 10:22 PM posted to alt.cellular.tech
John Henderson

kriszta wrote:

Is there a mobile phone technology that can be used in UK and US? I have
an Irish vodafone and O2 mobile. Top up. I will be spending an unknown
period of time in the US and I will need to be able to be contacted on
my Irish mobiles.Or is there a phone,smart phone, that I can retain my
Irish numbers and be able to use it in the US? I have made trips to the
US and was not able to receive texts in US. Could someone advise me what
my best option would be? Smart technology seems like a good option as I
could use skype and internet but is it possible to have my Irish numbers
on it,so that calls/texts made from Ireland are directed to it? Clueless
about the technological advances!

To use your Irish number in the USA, you'll need to be using your
Irish SIM card there. That has certain implications.

You'll only be able to use US carriers whose networks are
"European-style" GSM/UMTS access technology. You won't be able
to use a North American CDMA network.

You'll be restricted to US networks your Irish provider has a
roaming agreement with. Check that SMS is covered by this.

You may need to specifically request that your service has
international roaming enabled. Beware of high roaming charges,
and limit your international usage to the bare minimum. But
firstly, find out what the roaming charges are.

You'll need a phone which supports the US carrier's frequency
bands. A suitable multi-band phone should cover your home
network and the US networks. You'll need to check the details
when you sort out the available roaming agreements.

John
Old September 16th 12, 10:23 PM posted to alt.cellular.tech
Mutlley

John Henderson wrote:

kriszta wrote:

[...]

If your going to spend any length of time there I would suggest
getting a local SIM . Just make sure it does international calling
and SMS..