Possible to unlock K600i to use on 3 network (like K608i)?

Old August 30th 05, 06:40 PM
iceman

Default Possible to unlock K600i to use on 3 network (like K608i)?

Hi,

A friend has offered me his K600i which is on Orange.

I'd like to get it unlocked so that I can use it with my 3 tariff.

My question is this - can this be done? - would an unlocked K600i work on
the 3 network?

3 offer an SE K608i handset - does anyone know if this is identical to the
K600i?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

iceman

Old August 30th 05, 07:18 PM
iceman

Thanks very much for your swift response Brian.

So it really is that simple - get an Orange SE unlocked, put my 3 Sim in,
and it'll work. Excellent.

I thought that unlocking was a bit illegal? You're saying that if my mate
phones Orange, just asks them to unlock it (maybe say he's got another
network sim he wants to use sometimes?) that they'll do that without
question?

Have you seen 600s unlocked and being compatible on 3, or is it just that
phones are getting more cross-network compatible these days?

Cheers again

iceman

"Brian Morrison" wrote in message
iceman wrote:
Hi,

A friend has offered me his K600i which is on Orange.

I'd like to get it unlocked so that I can use it with my 3 tariff.

My question is this - can this be done? - would an unlocked K600i work on
the 3 network?

Yes and yes. Your friend could get Orange to unlock it for 20 quid, they
no longer want the remainder of the contract paid off.

3rd parties can also unlock SE K series phones, ask your local
independents or look about on the web.

3 offer an SE K608i handset - does anyone know if this is identical to
the K600i?

Except for the casing it is effectively identical, as is the V600i on
Vodafone.

--

Brian Morrison

please observe reply-to address

Old August 30th 05, 07:53 PM
iceman

Thanks very much indeed for your in-depth advice Brian.

Based on this advice, I'll be taking up his offer.

On a further note, what about the debranding services you see advertised -
whereby it appears the software takes off all network-specific
functionality, leaving the handset with plain generic software. Is
debranding illegal, or contrary to T&Cs?

I'd thought that if I DID take the 600 off him, I'd take the orange stuff
off, but if it's got the 2.5G lock facility, maybe I'd leave it.

iceman

"Brian Morrison" wrote in message
et.uk...
iceman wrote:
Thanks very much for your swift response Brian.

So it really is that simple - get an Orange SE unlocked, put my 3 Sim in,
and it'll work. Excellent.

It is indeed.

I thought that unlocking was a bit illegal? You're saying that if my
mate phones Orange, just asks them to unlock it (maybe say he's got
another network sim he wants to use sometimes?) that they'll do that
without question?

Yes, no problem. Remove SP locks (subsidy protection) is perfectly legal
because the phone is the customer's property anyway. The only thing that
is illegal is changing the IMEI to *unblock* a stolen phone that has been
added to the networks' IMEI blacklist, this is punishable by up to 5 years
imprisonment.

Have you seen 600s unlocked and being compatible on 3, or is it just that
phones are getting more cross-network compatible these days?

They all have to be type approved to meet either the GSM of 3GPP specs, so
they are pretty compatible. There may be odd things that are set up
differently on each network, but in the main they cause little trouble.

Since 3 is not a PCN network like Orange and T-Mobile, there really is
very little that will be a problem.

You might even have an advantage in that the network mode (dual mode/GSM
only) will be controllable from the menus on a non-3 phone, so if you are
in dodgy coverage from 3's UMTS (3G) network you can lock to 2.5G to
prevent calls dropping when leaving 3's own coverage and incoming calls
maybe going to voicemail when you think you're in coverage. Just don't do
this all the time as 3 could have you for breaking Ts & Cs, apparently O2
really sting them for calls handled by O2's own network.

Old January 27th 15, 05:47 AM

Ya sure it is possible to unlock your sony ericsson K600i mobile from orange network provider then freely use it with 3 network sim or else any other GSM sim ..You can easily unlock the phone through online providers like ClassicUnlocking.com here they are rendering network unlock code for all mobile models at reliable cost .You can use these provider and unlock your phone ...