Does anyone know what phone the now-dead Austin bomber (who was tracked by police) was using?

Old March 22nd 18, 04:59 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Ragnusen Ultred

Default Does anyone know what phone the now-dead Austin bomber (who was tracked by police) was using?

Am Thu, 22 Mar 2018 14:11:46 +0000, schrieb Chris:

Not in this case. It seems clear that they were simply using cell-tower
information to correlate his movements with the attacks and catch him.
The type of phone is irrelevant.

It does seem that they tracked him by simple means, where he seems to have
been triangulated to each of the bomb sites, according to the news.

I find it odd that someone, planning a crime, would bring a cellphone along
with them on the crime.

It just seems stupid.

At this point, he's made a twenty-minute video which the police have
characterized as a confession, but it was all about the bombs, which is
odd, don't you think?

He seemed to be wrapped up in the /technology/ of the bombs, which is why
it matters what technology he chose for his phone.

Time will tell as it will come out, eventually, which phone he used, where
I'm only seeking to better understand the machinations of his mind since
most of us reasonable people would consider it extremely dumb to bring a
cell phone along while on a /planned/ crime spree.

Only someone who merely /felt/ safe from prying eyes, but who was not
actually safe from prying eyes, could possibly do such a stupid thing.

Criminals are mostly stupid or thoughtless. The police aren't going to
catch the smart, determined ones. They usually end up in positions of
power where only the FBI/CIA/NSA might touch them.

Heh heh ... yeah. You're right. The best are those during the Harding and
Grant eras, where they made hundreds of millions of 1920's dollars, which
is likely billions in today's dollars.

James Comey comes to mind, when talking about criminal politicians, where
Comey wasn't even paid to be a sleazy politician - but he was nonetheless.
Old March 22nd 18, 06:28 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
[email protected]

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 15:52:10 -0100, Ragnusen Ultred
wrote:

Am Thu, 22 Mar 2018 08:31:40 +0100, schrieb Joerg Lorenz:

Only anonymous *idiots* are using anonymous news-servers. Your header:

ath:
eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!aioe.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail

You are not only an idiot, you are crossposting troll not able to use a
correct FUP2.

Hi Joerg Lorenz,

What's impressive is that you are so low on the DK scale that you don't
even seem to know enough about NNTP protocol to realize that these
meaningless headers can be changed on a whim, as can the news server, as
can any of the headers, includ

Are saying that your header was changed? For all of your nyms? If
not then Lorenz is absolutely correct. Sorta hard lie when the truth
is so apparent.

PLONK de novo

Old March 22nd 18, 06:49 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Frank Slootweg

Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Am Thu, 22 Mar 2018 08:31:40 +0100, schrieb Joerg Lorenz:

Only anonymous *idiots* are using anonymous news-servers. Your header:

ath:
eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!aioe.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail

You are not only an idiot, you are crossposting troll not able to use a
correct FUP2.

Hi Joerg Lorenz,

What's impressive is that you are so low on the DK scale that you don't
even seem to know enough about NNTP protocol to realize that these
meaningless headers can be changed on a whim, as can the news server, as
can any of the headers, including the time and date.

That you say "as can the news server" and "as can any of the headers"
(note: any) shows that you do *not* (fully) know what you're talking
about.
Old March 22nd 18, 09:17 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Ragnusen Ultred

Am 22 Mar 2018 18:49:27 GMT, schrieb Frank Slootweg:

That you say "as can the news server" and "as can any of the headers"
(note: any) shows that you do *not* (fully) know what you're talking
about.

Hi Frank,

You're not a childish Apple Apologists like Joerg Lorenz and [email protected] are,
so I'll look at your objections with more than just the energy it takes to
swat away an annoying brainless fly (which is all the effort I expended on
the Apple Apologists who never have any intention to be helpful).

First off, I might remind you that the subject matter here is rather
simple, which is simply what technical telephone prowess did the bomber
have, given he prided himself on his bomb-making skills (according to
police reports of the 20-minute recorded video on his cellphone).

Given he prided himself on his technical prowess, and yet, given the fact
that the cell phone is a key component that resulted in the police knowing
he was at the hotel (which ultimately caused his untimely death), we can
reasonably wonder what cellphone he used.

To that question, Joerg Lorenz, having nothing of value to add, brought up
the issue of headers, where I simply "swatted the gnat" in my response.

If you want me to prove a more technical response, you may need to clarify
where you're confused about headers.

I'm not sure what you're asking, so I ask you, adult to adult, to clarify
both what your question has to do with the topic, and what response you are
looking for, since it seems that you may just be playing silly games
yourself, in which case, I'll swat away the gnat in you as I did with the
Apple Apologists.

Do you think we can't change our news servers at will?
Do you think we can't change the date line?
Do you think we can't change the newsreader line?
Do you think we can't change the subject line?
Do you think we can't change the MIME encoding line?
DO you think we can't change the Message-ID line?
DO you think we can't change the Newsgroup line?
Do you think we can't change the Content-Transfer-Encoding line?

Which of those lines do you want me to change in my next post?

Frank Slootweg. Are you being serious as an adult?
Or are you just playing silly semantic games?
Old March 23rd 18, 12:56 AM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Carlos E. R.

On 2018-03-22 02:39, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
In article , micky wrote:

I wouldn't think it matters. The cell system has to know where every
phone is or when someone called you, it would have to send out the ring
signal from every cell tower in the world.

Of course, what you're talking about are the 'voice-related' cellular
signals, where I agree with you that the ability to track the voice part of
the cellular system is the same for all phones, but what's different is the
ability of others to track you based on the many different types of
non-voice-related differences in the cell phones themselves.

No, it is the same thing. Actually, it does not matter, as what you call
"the voice system" is always active and is calibrated to gather this
information automatically and continuously.

And another thing: they can track you days after you were there. Or
years after: the only requirement is that the provider stores the logs
from every tower. Then a court order to obtain the data and calculate
the position.

There is nothing you can do to avoid this, AFAIK.

There's no sense guessing.
We'll just have to wait for the phone information to be public knowledge.

What I will say is that anyone who commits a crime while carrying a
cellphone, is not all that smart, unless they felt an untoward sense of
security about using that cellphone, especially during and even /after/
committing the crime.

It's my premise that it's even worse if it's a so-called smartphone.

For that they need access to a different data set. The phone must have
the GPS chip active, some application requesting the exact position, and
the phone sending that information back to somewhere - like Google,
which does that tracking.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.
Old March 23rd 18, 11:43 AM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Joerg Lorenz

Am 22.03.18 um 19:49 schrieb Frank Slootweg:
Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
What's impressive is that you are so low on the DK scale that you don't
even seem to know enough about NNTP protocol to realize that these
meaningless headers can be changed on a whim, as can the news server, as
can any of the headers, including the time and date.

That you say "as can the news server" and "as can any of the headers"
(note: any) shows that you do *not* (fully) know what you're talking
about.

+1

--
Reclaim your inbox! Thunderbird makes emailing safer, faster, and easier
than ever before with the industry's best implementations of features
Old March 23rd 18, 03:32 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Jolly Roger[_3_]

wrote:
On Fri, 23 Mar 2018 06:41:03 +0100, Joerg Lorenz
wrote:

Am 22.03.18 um 22:09 schrieb Ragnusen Ultred:
Am Thu, 22 Mar 2018 13:28:20 -0500, schrieb :

Are saying that your header was changed? For all of your nyms? If
not then Lorenz is absolutely correct. Sorta hard lie when the truth
is so apparent.

PLONK de novo

Notice, as always, is the well-known cadre of about a half-dozen Apple
Apologists who can only spout drivel on this newsgroup?

Apple Appologists: [email protected], Jolly Roger, nospam, Joerg Lorenz, Lewis, etc.

And you troll are "Harry Newton" who had to change the identity because
he was in everybodys killfile. And you are bragging to be able to change
the header. You are not. you are simply a big mouth.

Wow. I've been included among some of the better posters here. I
would be happy to be an Apple Appologist (sic) except they don't need
apologies.

Nor do they actually exist in any of this troll’s threads.

JR

Cell phone users secretly tracked in study Jim Higgins Verizon 8 June 8th 08 04:07 AM
Bomber princess UK mobile telecoms 0 June 2nd 07 03:37 PM
AT&T's Cingular to use Qualcomm MediaFLO for cell phone TV (KXAN36 Austin) DTC Cingular 9 February 15th 07 10:53 PM
AT&T's Cingular to use Qualcomm MediaFLO for cell phone TV (KXAN36 Austin) SMS AT&T Wireless 1 February 15th 07 05:38 PM
AT&T's Cingular to use Qualcomm MediaFLO for cell phone TV (KXAN36 Austin) SMS Cingular 0 February 13th 07 12:54 AM