Does anyone know what phone the now-dead Austin bomber (who was tracked by police) was using?

Old March 21st 18, 07:00 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Ragnusen Ultred

Default Does anyone know what phone the now-dead Austin bomber (who was tracked by police) was using?

Q: Does anyone know what phone the now-dead Austin bomber (who was tracked
by police) was using?

All the reports say the police tracked him to his final location using
standard cell-phone geolocation signals, but none of the reports say what
phone he was using.

I'm curious what type of phone someone so evil and yet so stupid uses.

If/when the news releases the type of phone, please just update this thread
with that data, as I don't think the information is public knowledge yet.
Old March 21st 18, 07:15 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Ragnusen Ultred

In article news
If/when the news releases the type of phone, please just update this thread
with that data, as I don't think the information is public knowledge yet.

This doesn't mention the phone he used, but it has more detail on what was
surveilled...

"Investigators compiled a list of phone numbers and individuals that were
in the area of the bombings, using cell-site analysis and high-tech
computing systems that can detect patterns of callers, and hours before
police tried to pull Conditt over on Interstate 35, he turned on his cell
phone, allowing authorities to hone in on his location, NBC News reported."

Q: Does anyone know what phone the now-dead idiot Austin bomber was using?
Old March 21st 18, 11:42 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
micky

In comp.mobile.android, on Wed, 21 Mar 2018 19:00:55 +0000 (UTC),
Ragnusen Ultred wrote:

Q: Does anyone know what phone the now-dead Austin bomber (who was tracked
by police) was using?

All the reports say the police tracked him to his final location using
standard cell-phone geolocation signals, but none of the reports say what
phone he was using.

I'm curious what type of phone someone so evil and yet so stupid uses.

If/when the news releases the type of phone, please just update this thread
with that data, as I don't think the information is public knowledge yet.

I wouldn't think it matters. The cell system has to know where every
phone is or when someone called you, it would have to send out the ring
signal from every cell tower in the world.
Old March 22nd 18, 01:39 AM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Ragnusen Ultred

In article , micky wrote:

I wouldn't think it matters. The cell system has to know where every
phone is or when someone called you, it would have to send out the ring
signal from every cell tower in the world.

Of course, what you're talking about are the 'voice-related' cellular
signals, where I agree with you that the ability to track the voice part of
the cellular system is the same for all phones, but what's different is the
ability of others to track you based on the many different types of
non-voice-related differences in the cell phones themselves.

There's no sense guessing.
We'll just have to wait for the phone information to be public knowledge.

What I will say is that anyone who commits a crime while carrying a
cellphone, is not all that smart, unless they felt an untoward sense of
security about using that cellphone, especially during and even /after/
committing the crime.

It's my premise that it's even worse if it's a so-called smartphone.

Only someone who merely /felt/ safe from prying eyes, but who was not
actually safe from prying eyes, could possibly do such a stupid thing.
Old March 22nd 18, 05:34 AM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Joerg Lorenz

Am 21.03.18 um 20:15 schrieb Ragnusen Ultred:
In article news
If/when the news releases the type of phone, please just update this thread
with that data, as I don't think the information is public knowledge yet.

This doesn't mention the phone he used, but it has more detail on what was
surveilled...

"Investigators compiled a list of phone numbers and individuals that were
in the area of the bombings, using cell-site analysis and high-tech
computing systems that can detect patterns of callers, and hours before
police tried to pull Conditt over on Interstate 35, he turned on his cell
phone, allowing authorities to hone in on his location, NBC News reported."

Q: Does anyone know what phone the now-dead idiot Austin bomber was using?

I only know the idiot who wants to know it ...
*SCNR*

--
De gustibus non est disputandum
Old March 22nd 18, 05:58 AM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Ragnusen Ultred

In article news
I only know the idiot who wants to know it ...

It's amazing how you, Jeorg Lorenz, repeatedly prove your inability to post
anything but meaningless drivel in /every/ one of your posts.

I give you credit for that accomplishment which most children grow out of
by adulthood.

Meanwhile, this report reveals yet more facts about how his cellphone was
used to successfully track the bomber's movements.

http://www.kxan.com/news/how-police-...r-1/1067304336

"McCaul said Conditt had powered down his phone for "quite some time" but
that police closed in when he switched it back on.

"He turned it on, it pinged, and then the chased ensued," McCaul said.

Abbott said police were able to closely monitor Conditt and his movements
for about 24 hours before his death. The governor said the phone number was
used to tie Conditt to bombing sites around Austin.

"The suspect's cellphone number showed up at each of the bombing sites as
well as some key locations that helped them connect him to the crime,"
Abbott said."
Old March 22nd 18, 06:06 AM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Ragnusen Ultred

In article news
Only someone who merely /felt/ safe from prying eyes, but who was not
actually safe from prying eyes, could possibly do such a stupid thing.

Apparently, he parked his vehicle at the Home Depot when buying nails,
where his cell phone was apparently turned on at the time of purchase,
according to this article in the LA Times.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...321-story.html

"When Conditt turned on the phone, McCaul said, investigators were able to
pinpoint him at a hotel in Round Rock, which led to a police chase."
Old March 22nd 18, 07:31 AM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Joerg Lorenz

Am 22.03.18 um 06:58 schrieb Ragnusen Ultred:
In article news
I only know the idiot who wants to know it ...

It's amazing how you, Jeorg Lorenz, repeatedly prove your inability to post
anything but meaningless drivel in /every/ one of your posts.

Only anonymous *idiots* are using anonymous news-servers. Your header:

ath:
eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!aioe.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail

You are not only an idiot, you are crossposting troll not able to use a
correct FUP2.

--
Reclaim your inbox! Thunderbird makes emailing safer, faster, and easier
than ever before with the industry's best implementations of features
Old March 22nd 18, 03:30 PM posted to alt.cellular
Jolly Roger[_3_]

On 2018-03-22, Chris wrote:
On 22/03/2018 01:39, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
In article , micky wrote:

[...]

Not in this case. It seems clear that they were simply using
cell-tower information to correlate his movements with the attacks and
catch him. The type of phone is irrelevant.

Anyone with any cursory knowledge of cellular technology knows that; and
"Ragnusen" is naturally excluded from this group.

JR
Old March 22nd 18, 04:52 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Thu, 22 Mar 2018 08:31:40 +0100, schrieb Joerg Lorenz:

Only anonymous *idiots* are using anonymous news-servers. Your header:

ath:
eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!aioe.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail

You are not only an idiot, you are crossposting troll not able to use a
correct FUP2.

Hi Joerg Lorenz,

What's impressive is that you are so low on the DK scale that you don't
even seem to know enough about NNTP protocol to realize that these
meaningless headers can be changed on a whim, as can the news server, as
can any of the headers, including the time and date.

So you put too much meaning into nothing, as usual for your kind.

That you're hilariously inept at interpreting the significance of NNTP
headers isn't surprising, but that you actually seem to /think/ you're a
genius is what I find humorous since it's a classic trait of those like you
very low on the Dunning-Kruger scale who put too much faith into your
incorrect assumptions about your skill set in interpreting meaningless
headers.

Please do continue to post meaningless drivel because your very words give
me greater insight into the machinations of the minds of people who are
extremely low on the DK scale when it comes to self-assessment of skills.

Cell phone users secretly tracked in study Jim Higgins Verizon 8 June 8th 08 04:07 AM
Bomber princess UK mobile telecoms 0 June 2nd 07 03:37 PM
AT&T's Cingular to use Qualcomm MediaFLO for cell phone TV (KXAN36 Austin) DTC Cingular 9 February 15th 07 10:53 PM
AT&T's Cingular to use Qualcomm MediaFLO for cell phone TV (KXAN36 Austin) SMS AT&T Wireless 1 February 15th 07 05:38 PM
AT&T's Cingular to use Qualcomm MediaFLO for cell phone TV (KXAN36 Austin) SMS Cingular 0 February 13th 07 12:54 AM