A cellular and mobile phone forum. CellBanter

Go Back   Home » CellBanter forum » General cell phone forums » Cellular (general)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

T-Mobile is the fastest 4G LTE network in US (according to 6 billion OpenSignal reports)



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 22nd 18, 05:51 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Harold Newton
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19
Default T-Mobile is the fastest 4G LTE network in US (according to 6 billion OpenSignal reports)

T-Mobile finally beats Verizon to become fastest 4G LTE network in U.S.
http://mashable.com/2018/01/22/tmobile-rules-opensignal-report-2018/

"The OpenSignal "State of Mobile Networks" report took into account
about 6 billion measurements from 237,213 U.S. smartphone users,
sampled between Oct. 1 to Dec. 30 of 2017 (Q4)."

"The "uncarrier" blew past Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint in five out
of six major metric tests, besting the competition on 4G download
speed, 3G download speed, overall download speed, 3G latency,]
and 4G availability. The only metric T-Mobile didn't win was 4G
latency; AT&T just beat it by a hair."
Ads
  #2  
Old January 22nd 18, 05:53 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
SMS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,841
Default T-Mobile is the fastest 4G LTE network in US (according to 6billion OpenSignal reports)

On 1/22/2018 9:51 AM, Harold Newton wrote:
T-Mobile finally beats Verizon to become fastest 4G LTE network in U.S.
http://mashable.com/2018/01/22/tmobile-rules-opensignal-report-2018/


Too bad about their coverage.
  #3  
Old January 22nd 18, 06:04 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Harold Newton
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19
Default T-Mobile is the fastest 4G LTE network in US (according to 6 billion OpenSignal reports)

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 09:53:17 -0800, sms wrote:

On 1/22/2018 9:51 AM, Harold Newton wrote:
T-Mobile finally beats Verizon to become fastest 4G LTE network in U.S.
http://mashable.com/2018/01/22/tmobile-rules-opensignal-report-2018/


Too bad about their coverage.


We're both in the Silicon Valley environs, where I've been here since
before cell phones, and hence I had Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile.

I dropped Verizon because they upped my 2-year contract simply because I
had a phone replaced under the extended warranty plan, which I though was
unfair, and when I went to AT&T, I was surprised I saved money, and they
allowed me to block data if I wanted to, by phone, on the "family" plan.

The coverage was 'about the same' where I traveled, camped, and stayed at
home in the mountains (which is to say the coverage sucked in the mountains
and when camping).

Then AT&T wouldn't let *new* phones block data (it's more complex than
that, but that's not the point here) so I summarily dropped AT&T for
T-Mobile (after toying with the idea of changing the IMEI because AT&T
insisted that they'd charge you for data if you switched the SIM card into
a phone that 'could' have data - even if you had data blocked!).

After complaining abot AT&T to the FCC (and getting a perfectly idiotic
"nospam like" response from the AT&T Marketing exec who called me about my
complaint), I was happy to find out that T-Mobile doesn't care what phone
the SIM card goes in.

In addition, T-Mobile was cheaper, and they allowed you to use any phone
you wanted, and they'd even sell you a phone (for $50 more than MSRP
though), but with no contract if you paid in full.

Once again, the coverage was 'about the same' where I traveled, camped, and
stayed at home in the mountains (which is to say the coverage sucked in the
mountains and when camping).

In addition, T-Mobile gave me a free repeater and a free femtocell (aka
microcell) so my rather large multi-floor home is now covered from end to
end and from top to bottom with cellular signal.

While my experience with all three carriers happened sequentially, I'd have
to say that, in the Silicon Valley, while traveling, and while camping, and
living in the mountains, the coverage was "about the same".

Bear in mind, T-Mobile will give you a free one-month *loaner phone*, which
allows you to *test* your coverage. Just make sure it's Android because the
tools for testing signal strength are far easier to use for debugging than
on the iPhone (which is primitive by way of comparison).
  #4  
Old January 22nd 18, 06:06 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
nospam[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,257
Default T-Mobile is the fastest 4G LTE network in US (according to 6 billion OpenSignal reports)

In article , Harold Newton
wrote:


Then AT&T wouldn't let *new* phones block data


they don't prevent it.

(it's more complex than
that, but that's not the point here)


it is the point because once again, you're wrong.
  #5  
Old January 22nd 18, 06:06 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
nospam[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,257
Default T-Mobile is the fastest 4G LTE network in US (according to 6 billion OpenSignal reports)

In article , sms
wrote:

T-Mobile finally beats Verizon to become fastest 4G LTE network in U.S.
http://mashable.com/2018/01/22/tmobile-rules-opensignal-report-2018/


Too bad about their coverage.


t-mobile's coverage is excellent and *very* fast.

a decade ago it wasn't as good, but those days are long, long gone.
  #6  
Old January 22nd 18, 07:16 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
SMS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,841
Default T-Mobile is the fastest 4G LTE network in US (according to 6billion OpenSignal reports)

On 1/22/2018 10:04 AM, Harold Newton wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 09:53:17 -0800, sms wrote:

On 1/22/2018 9:51 AM, Harold Newton wrote:
T-Mobile finally beats Verizon to become fastest 4G LTE network in U.S.
http://mashable.com/2018/01/22/tmobile-rules-opensignal-report-2018/


Too bad about their coverage.


We're both in the Silicon Valley environs, where I've been here since
before cell phones, and hence I had Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile.

I dropped Verizon because they upped my 2-year contract simply because I
had a phone replaced under the extended warranty plan, which I though was
unfair, and when I went to AT&T, I was surprised I saved money, and they
allowed me to block data if I wanted to, by phone, on the "family" plan.

The coverage was 'about the same' where I traveled, camped, and stayed at
home in the mountains (which is to say the coverage sucked in the mountains
and when camping).

Then AT&T wouldn't let *new* phones block data (it's more complex than
that, but that's not the point here) so I summarily dropped AT&T for
T-Mobile (after toying with the idea of changing the IMEI because AT&T
insisted that they'd charge you for data if you switched the SIM card into
a phone that 'could' have data - even if you had data blocked!).

After complaining abot AT&T to the FCC (and getting a perfectly idiotic
"nospam like" response from the AT&T Marketing exec who called me about my
complaint), I was happy to find out that T-Mobile doesn't care what phone
the SIM card goes in.

In addition, T-Mobile was cheaper, and they allowed you to use any phone
you wanted, and they'd even sell you a phone (for $50 more than MSRP
though), but with no contract if you paid in full.

Once again, the coverage was 'about the same' where I traveled, camped, and
stayed at home in the mountains (which is to say the coverage sucked in the
mountains and when camping).

In addition, T-Mobile gave me a free repeater and a free femtocell (aka
microcell) so my rather large multi-floor home is now covered from end to
end and from top to bottom with cellular signal.

While my experience with all three carriers happened sequentially, I'd have
to say that, in the Silicon Valley, while traveling, and while camping, and
living in the mountains, the coverage was "about the same".


I would respectfully say that you're full of it.

We go to the Sierras a lot. There are vast areas with good Verizon
coverage, mediocre AT&T coverage, and no T-Mobile coverage. Sprint roams
on Verizon (as long as you're on postpaid Sprint). T-Mobile just very
very recently added coverage in Yosemite Valley.

One year we went up to Yosemite in the winter. We were staying in
Yosemite West. This is not an isolated area, it's a big housing
development just outside the park boundary even though you have to go
into the park to get there. We arrived in a snowstorm. The place we were
staying didn't leave the key out. Having Verizon, I was able to call the
caretaker. There was no AT&T coverage. There was no T-Mobile coverage.
Still isn't, years later. See http://oi63.tinypic.com/eiwdbn.jpg. It's
the same situation throughout most of the Sierra once you're off I-80 or
US50. Verizon bought Golden State Cellular, a CDMA carrier that did an
outstanding job at rural coverage
http://www.verizon.com/about/news/vzw/2014/06/verizon-wireless-purchases-golden-state-cellular.

Same situation as above when driving the child-units to Boy Scout Camp
along CA 108. Leaving Sonora heading east you'd better have Verizon. At
Camp Hi Sierra, you can barely get a Verizon signal, but no other
carriers have any coverage (except Sprint roaming on Verizon). For all
the complaints about Sprint, at least they allow roaming on Verizon in
areas where they lack their own coverage.

We often travel to San Diego (child-unit in college there). When we
briefly tried T-Mobile the coverage was terrible on that drive. T-Mobile
dropped out just east of Gilroy on 152. Coverage was sporadic on I-5
from Los Banos to Santa Clarita (trying to use Spotify). Our three
months of hell on T-Mobile ended and we switched to an AT&T provider and
all was well. I kept one phone on Verizon for more rural excursions.
  #7  
Old January 22nd 18, 07:23 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Harold Newton
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19
Default T-Mobile is the fastest 4G LTE network in US (according to 6 billion OpenSignal reports)

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 13:06:48 -0500, nospam wrote:


Then AT&T wouldn't let *new* phones block data


they don't prevent it.

(it's more complex than
that, but that's not the point here)


it is the point because once again, you're wrong.


First off, you are so desperate to find a single statement from me that is
factually wrong, that you'll grasp at *anything*, even when I said I was
simplifying the details.

Do you think that I don't have an FCC complaint that has *all* the gory
details, and that I didn't get a call from AT&T Marketing telling me that
they would charge me for data even if I had a data block if I put the SIM
card in a phone that they considered a "smartphone"?

You're so desperate to find something, anything, that I've said that you
can claim isn't factual that the next thing we'll see is you finding a typo
and claiming that it's not factual.

Grow some balls. And some brains.
You'll never find me stating a mistruth because I'm not like you.

I say the truth - you never say the truth.
Don't think I'm like you.

You're like Peter Madsen. A perfect double. And James Comey.
You don't even believe 95% of what you say.
  #8  
Old January 22nd 18, 07:36 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
nospam[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,257
Default T-Mobile is the fastest 4G LTE network in US (according to 6 billion OpenSignal reports)

In article , Harold Newton
wrote:



Then AT&T wouldn't let *new* phones block data


they don't prevent it.

(it's more complex than
that, but that's not the point here)


it is the point because once again, you're wrong.


First off, you are so desperate to find a single statement from me that is
factually wrong, that you'll grasp at *anything*, even when I said I was
simplifying the details.


i'm not desperate at all. just about everything you say is wrong.

Do you think that I don't have an FCC complaint that has *all* the gory
details, and that I didn't get a call from AT&T Marketing telling me that
they would charge me for data even if I had a data block if I put the SIM
card in a phone that they considered a "smartphone"?


their smartphone plans include data.

you were trying to get away with scamming them and they caught you.

that's also different from blocking data, something that's trivially
done on any carrier and there's no way to block that.
  #9  
Old January 22nd 18, 07:39 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Harold Newton
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19
Default T-Mobile is the fastest 4G LTE network in US (according to 6 billion OpenSignal reports)

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 11:16:30 -0800, sms wrote:

I would respectfully say that you're full of it.


You're welcome to that opinion, but then you have to contrast your opinion
with mine, where I've never stated a mistruth here yet, in tens of
thousands of posts over the decades, and where you just tried to sell me
the brooklyn bridge on both benchmark results and iPhone batteries.

My credibility is nearly 100% (even I might make a mistake once in a
while).

Yours was good until you tried to claim your illogical claims about
benchmarks and batteries - both of which fail any logic test.

What we can say, logically, is that both you and I have "anecdotal
evidence", where I too have traveled with T-mobile and I certainly have
traveled with people in the car with other carriers, just as I camp out
with the grandkids with plenty of other people since we're in organized
camping groups just as you are.

The coverage, in my anecdotal experience, is "about the same", while in
your anecdotal experience, they're not.

That's fine. But don't imply that I'm "full of it".
Just say your anecdotal experience doesn't match mine.

And that's fine.
That's how anecdotal experience works.

What we all need are FACTS - which I'm not afraid of - that prove the
point, either way.

Why would I care either way whether T-mobile or Verizon or AT&T has
"better" coverage in the places it matters to me.

I don't care which way the answer goes - but my anecdotal experience has
been that it doesn't matter - while yours has been that it does.

Let's stop this until or unless we find FACTS to support the claims.

HINT: It's an age-old question, so there are billions of articles
portending to answer it.
  #10  
Old January 22nd 18, 07:40 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Harold Newton
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19
Default T-Mobile is the fastest 4G LTE network in US (according to 6 billion OpenSignal reports)

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 14:36:42 -0500, nospam wrote:

i'm not desperate at all. just about everything you say is wrong.


When you get that childishly silly, I don't even read your post further.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Breaking News: App Store has passed 2 Billion Downloads! 85,000+mobile apps! Two Billion Downloads! - sounds like McDonalds burgers Cingular 6 September 30th 09 05:52 AM
The Nations Fastest 3G Network to greatly expand in 2009! Rumor: AT&T Planning to Launch Phone Trade-In Program in June Verizon 7 March 12th 09 09:28 PM
No delivery reports on Tesco mobile Murmansk69 UK mobile telecoms 7 February 23rd 06 07:15 AM
Verizon Wireless Selects Nortel Networks for US$1 Billion Network Expansion CK Verizon 8 September 7th 03 07:19 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2018 CellBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.