Android: Central Point For App Purchase?

Old August 11th 10, 08:54 PM posted to alt.cellular.cingular
(PeteCresswell)

Default Android: Central Point For App Purchase?

Probably not.....

But I'm looking for a place I can peruse to see what iTouch apps
I have that have Android analogs.

--
PeteCresswell
Old August 12th 10, 01:13 AM posted to alt.cellular.cingular
(PeteCresswell)

Per John Navas:

Android market is the place, which if you don't have an Android, is
mirrored on a number of websites; e.g., http://www.androidzoom.com/

Between that link and Googling by app name, it looks to me like
all of the proprietary-DB apps on my iTouch are either already
available under Android or soon to be (CarbonFin's Outliner).

How about iPhone's new uber-fine-rez capacitive screen?

Is there any word on those things being used on Android devices
anytime in the near future?
--
PeteCresswell
Old August 12th 10, 03:53 AM posted to alt.cellular.cingular
Todd Allcock[_2_]

At 11 Aug 2010 20:13:56 -0400 (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per John Navas:

Android market is the place, which if you don't have an Android, is
mirrored on a number of websites; e.g., http://www.androidzoom.com/

Between that link and Googling by app name, it looks to me like
all of the proprietary-DB apps on my iTouch are either already
available under Android or soon to be (CarbonFin's Outliner).

How about iPhone's new uber-fine-rez capacitive screen?

Is there any word on those things being used on Android devices
anytime in the near future?

I'd argue it already is, sort of- many Android phones have been 800x480
for awhile. It seems Apple jumped a little past that with their 960x640
"retina" ("because you'll believe anything!") display, but that was
really for app compatibiity (old apps made for 480x320 iPhones run pixel-
doubled.) I don't see much point in Android matching the iPhone res and
messing up a bunch of apps until they're ready to leapfrog it.

[My two year-old Sony X1 has a "retina" display (312 ppi) because it
squeezed an 800x480 display in a 3" diagonal. Roughly as sharp as the
iPhone 4 but slightly smaller. Personally, at my age, I'd take a larger
less sharp display. With my 44 year-old eyes, my old QVGA 4" Dell Axim's
screen is practically a "retina display" ]
Old August 12th 10, 02:44 PM posted to alt.cellular.cingular
(PeteCresswell)

Per John Navas:
The best and latest Android screen is on the Samsung Galaxy S (available
on all major carriers).

I was thinking more about a semi-pad.... something about 7" -
between my iTouch (too small) and an iPad (too large).

To me, the ideal size is the largest size that will fit into the
average pants pocket.
--
PeteCresswell