What to say to get T-Mobile to unlock my phone?

Old November 6th 05, 01:36 AM
John

Default What to say to get T-Mobile to unlock my phone?

Hi,

My contract is nearing its end. I'm told that I should have the phone
unlocked so I can sell it or take it to another carrier. I don't know
what I'm going to do, but I'll have more options with an unlock phone.

What do I say when I call in? What will they give me? A code to enter
into the phone? How do I know if the phone is unlocked or locked?

Thanks,
John

Old November 6th 05, 02:22 AM
F. W.

I believe the term is "SIM Subsidy Unlock" or something similar.
Basically, just ask customer care to have the phone unlocked.
They'll know what you mean.
If they ask why, just say that you'll be going overseas and would like to be
able to use a local SIM when you get there.
They will e-mail instructions to you as to how to unlock the phone.
It will contain an unlock code unique to your phone.
As far as increasing the phone's value for resale, that is doubtful.
I've met numerous people that bought "unlocked" phones on e-bay.
Few were actually unlocked.
I don't think too many people actually believe that line anymore (except in
New Jersey, arm pit of the nation).

Storm

ups.com...

Old November 6th 05, 02:22 AM
Felipe Garcia

tell them u want to unlock it.

thats it.

when i called, they gave me a code.

Old November 6th 05, 02:59 AM
Kevin K

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 01:36:33 UTC, "John"
wrote:

Hi,

My contract is nearing its end. I'm told that I should have the phone
unlocked so I can sell it or take it to another carrier. I don't know
what I'm going to do, but I'll have more options with an unlock phone.

What do I say when I call in? What will they give me? A code to enter
into the phone? How do I know if the phone is unlocked or locked?

Thanks,
John

I would think that a generic Tmobile phone, unlocked, would still be
less desirable than an unlocked phone from some other vendor, because
traditionally most Tmobile phones were only 1900 in the US. Meaning
that, for customers with other phone companies like Cingular, it still
may not work well in their areas.

I've noticed that some TMobile phones are now becoming available with
850 too, probably to better support roaming in areas without 1900
service.

Old November 6th 05, 03:36 AM
Steve Sobol

Kevin K wrote:

I would think that a generic Tmobile phone, unlocked, would still be
less desirable than an unlocked phone from some other vendor, because
traditionally most Tmobile phones were only 1900 in the US. Meaning
that, for customers with other phone companies like Cingular, it still
may not work well in their areas.

That's changing.

My Motorola V188 is a quad-band, 800/900/1800/1900, and it's not the only
multi-band phone T-Mo sells (although not all are quad-band).

Company website: http://JustThe.net/
E: Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
Old November 6th 05, 03:58 AM
R. P.

"F. W." wrote:
I believe the term is "SIM Subsidy Unlock" or something similar.
Basically, just ask customer care to have the phone unlocked.
They'll know what you mean.
If they ask why, just say that you'll be going overseas and would like
to be able to use a local SIM when you get there.
They will e-mail instructions to you as to how to unlock the phone.
It will contain an unlock code unique to your phone.

Well, I requested an unlock for my V330 and I recieved a canned
reply telling me what condition I have to meet (all of which I have met)
and asking for certain info, such as the IMEI number, etc., that can
identify me as the real owner of that phone. I emailed that info over a
week ago and I still haven't heard from them. That would be that famous
customer service they like to brag about in their ads?

Rudy

Old November 6th 05, 03:15 PM
Bob

Ask Cingular the same thing and see what kind of customer service they
give you. If you don't want to wait for T-Mobile to give you the
information, there are plenty of other sources to get your phone
unlocked. The only difference is you have to pay for it from other
sources.

Just be patient, or pay for it.

Old November 6th 05, 05:42 PM
Kevin K

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 03:36:57 UTC, Steve Sobol
wrote:

Kevin K wrote:

I would think that a generic Tmobile phone, unlocked, would still be
less desirable than an unlocked phone from some other vendor, because
traditionally most Tmobile phones were only 1900 in the US. Meaning
that, for customers with other phone companies like Cingular, it still
may not work well in their areas.

That's changing.

My Motorola V188 is a quad-band, 800/900/1800/1900, and it's not the only
multi-band phone T-Mo sells (although not all are quad-band).

You notice that the very next paragraph mentioned that TMobile had
started selling some phones supporting 850?

Chances are, though, that most of the unlocked TMobile phones being
sold on Ebay aren't 850 compatible yet. If TMobile converts to only
selling phones that can support 850 and 1900 (or quad bands), then in
a few years most of the phones available will work with Cingular once
unlocked.

Old November 6th 05, 07:28 PM
R. P.

"Joseph" wrote:
Direct email no. But if you go to the T-Mobile web site and go to the
comments/questions page you can ask for the unlock code there. They
will get back to you and ask you some questions (such as IMEI, reason
for unlock etc.) and when you provide the information they will email
you back with the relevant information.

That's exactly how I requested it and I received then an email reply
from somebody named Carla, requesting all that additional info which I
then provided in the return email.

R. P.

Old November 7th 05, 02:56 AM
Ben Skversky

Once it's unlocked will he be able to use the phone on the Cingular network?

"Joseph" wrote in message
On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 02:22:30 GMT, "F. W."
wrote:

As far as increasing the phone's value for resale, that is doubtful.

Hardly. If a phone only works on T-Mobile it's not as valuable as a
phone that can work on any GSM network. Having it locked to T-Mobile
will mean that you will have only interest from someone who needs a
T-Mobile compatible phone. If it's compatible with any network you'll
have a much larger pool of people who may be interested.

- -