SMS Lifetime on SMSC

Old May 30th 07, 08:50 PM posted to alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm
Christen Fihl

Default SMS Lifetime on SMSC

Maybe your company does not send reports at all even when asked for one.

In Denmark, not all companies give reports.

--
Christen

Old May 30th 07, 10:04 PM posted to alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm
John Henderson

Brainsludge wrote:

I wonder how they know when you use a different SMSC. From
what I understand, sending an SMS is essentially the same as
making a GSM phone call to the SMSC number.

They only need to know that you've used their network for a
successful SMS-submit. So billing gets triggered by an
interaction at a lower layer than that involving the carrier's
own SMSC.

Also, I tried manually setting the "validity period" on an SMS
to 1 hour and also asked for a "delivery report" (some sort of
receipt notification I imagine) using my Nokia 6600. So far
it's been 36 hours and I have not received an "undeliverable"
error nor has the delivery report come back conclusively (it
says "pending"). I wonder if my carrier ignores user-defined
validity periods...

As Christen says, it may be that the SMSC you've used doesn't
support delivery reports. Most carriers here don't. The one
which does now charges for them.

Especially with the way outsourced software gets written and
"tested" these days, ignoring user-defined validity periods is
certainly possible, although I've done enough experimentation
here to be confident that our carriers do support shorter
periods.

Another SMS feature seems to have virtually non-existent
support. That's "reply path" or "direct reply" (by whatever
name). This is supposed to allow you to send a reply-paid SMS.
If the sender asks for it and their SMSC supports it, then a
flag gets set on the recipient's incoming SMS. When you reply
(at least the first time), that reply gets lodged with the
original sender's SMSC directly (rather than using the the SMSC
configured in your phone), and reverse-charged. As per our
earlier discussion, that would certainly result in
double-charging if such a reply was lodged through Telstra.

John
Old May 31st 07, 02:56 AM posted to alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm
Brainsludge

Goodness. Knowing which features are and aren't supported and how they
are implemented ends up coming down to a guessing game, because
Customer/Tech Support rarely know these things (and are usually
unwilling to admit it - they'll gladly go in semantic circles with you
before they admit they don't know). I guess that's why this thread
started to begin with. Thanks for imparting all the knowlegde!

-B

SMS Lifetime on SMSC Brainsludge GSM 12 May 31st 07 02:56 AM
looking for paid SMSC Martin GSM 0 July 29th 06 06:16 PM
Can you force an SMS through a certain SMSC? steve king UK mobile telecoms 5 April 27th 05 12:06 AM
O2 SMSC having problems? BWGames UK mobile telecoms 3 October 13th 04 06:23 PM
SMSC - how do they work then? Peter Neal UK mobile telecoms 8 December 14th 03 04:29 PM