SMS Lifetime on SMSC

Old May 28th 07, 08:21 PM posted to alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm
Brainsludge

Default SMS Lifetime on SMSC

My phone's SMS memory is currently full. I know that there are waiting
SMSs for me on my SMSC, but I would like to backup some important SMSs
before I free up some memory. I use T-Mobile USA.

My questions a

1) how long is an SMS queued (and retried) on the SMSC before it is
deleted?

2) if it is eventually deleted having gone undelivered, is it billed?

thanks,

Old May 28th 07, 08:49 PM posted to alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm
Christen Fihl

1) Normally, as I have seen it, the queue time is 3 days, 72 hours
But it is actually up to the sender to specify how long retention they
want on each message.
I have a system myself, where I do specify 20 minutes.
If message not read within 20 minutes, it is too late anyway.

2) Message is discarded then, but still billed, I guess.

--
Christen

Old May 28th 07, 09:36 PM posted to alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm
John Henderson

Brainsludge wrote:

My phone's SMS memory is currently full. I know that there are
waiting SMSs for me on my SMSC, but I would like to backup
some important SMSs before I free up some memory. I use
T-Mobile USA.

My questions a

1) how long is an SMS queued (and retried) on the SMSC before
it is deleted?

As set on the sending phone in the message settings - often
called "validity period" or similiar. However SMSCs impose
their own upper limit that's well short of the maximum defined
in GSM 03.40 (63 weeks). In my experience, the SMSC upper
limit is always set somewhere betweeen 3 and 7 days.

2) if it is eventually deleted having gone undelivered, is it
billed?

Yes, that's as certain as death and taxes are.

John
Old May 28th 07, 09:51 PM posted to alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm
Brainsludge

hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I posted my questions only after giving T-
Mobile CSR a try. Nobody there seemed to know the answers. I just gave
CSR another try and found someone in Tier 2 tech support who
supposedly found the answers. As both of you guys mentioned, it seems
the validity period for SMSs on the T-Mobile SMSC is 72 hours.
However, the Rep told me that if the SMS doesn't successfully reach
the phone, it is not charged. It seems that the phone's
acknowledgement of having received the SMS is what triggers billing.

Anybody know for sure the point at which billing is triggered?

Thanks!

Old May 28th 07, 10:17 PM posted to alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm
John Henderson

Brainsludge wrote:

hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I posted my questions only after
giving T- Mobile CSR a try. Nobody there seemed to know the
answers. I just gave CSR another try and found someone in Tier
2 tech support who supposedly found the answers. As both of
you guys mentioned, it seems the validity period for SMSs on
the T-Mobile SMSC is 72 hours. However, the Rep told me that
if the SMS doesn't successfully reach the phone, it is not
charged. It seems that the phone's acknowledgement of having
received the SMS is what triggers billing.

Anybody know for sure the point at which billing is triggered?

I'd be very surprised. What I do know is that if I sent an SMS
from here in Australia to your T-Mobile phone, it'd be charged
by my carrier at the point of lodgement - end delivery would be
irrelevant.

John
Old May 28th 07, 10:46 PM posted to alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm
Brainsludge

On May 28, 5:17 pm, John Henderson wrote:

I'd be very surprised. What I do know is that if I sent anSMS
from here in Australia to your T-Mobile phone, it'd be charged
by my carrier at the point of lodgement - end delivery would be
irrelevant.

We're talking about two different things. Sorry for not being more
clear.

Yes, intuitively, the sender would be charged as soon as the SMS
clears the outgoing server.

My question is with regard to a charge for the incoming party. Perhaps
things are done differently by Australian cellular providers but
American providers, like T-Mobile USA, charge an incoming per-message
tariff for SMS. So my question is: If the message ends up being
undeliverable due to expiration at the SMSC, will the incoming party
be billed for the orphaned message?

Also, just a speculation: if the the SMSC ends up expiring a certain
SMS, it may send an "undeliverable" error back to the outgoing party
(e.g. outgoing server). Perhaps this would wash the charge for the
sender. Just guessing...

Thanks!

Old May 28th 07, 11:17 PM posted to alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm
John Henderson

Brainsludge wrote:

Yes, intuitively, the sender would be charged as soon as the
SMS clears the outgoing server.

My question is with regard to a charge for the incoming party.
Perhaps things are done differently by Australian cellular
providers but American providers, like T-Mobile USA, charge an
incoming per-message tariff for SMS. So my question is: If the
message ends up being undeliverable due to expiration at the
SMSC, will the incoming party be billed for the orphaned
message?

I was wondering about whether you might be charged for incoming
SMSs. I would think no charge if undelivered, but hopefully
someone can clarify.

Also, just a speculation: if the the SMSC ends up expiring a
certain SMS, it may send an "undeliverable" error back to the
outgoing party (e.g. outgoing server). Perhaps this would wash
the charge for the sender. Just guessing...

The required mechanism would be much simpler than that. It's
actually the SMSC of lodgement which delivers the SMS to the
phone on whatever network the addressee uses. Assuming
different networks, if the SMS addressee is unreachable, their
network is obliged to notify the originator's SMSC when the
addressee's phone next has a network interaction.

John
Old May 29th 07, 12:58 AM posted to alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm
Brainsludge

On May 28, 6:17 pm, John Henderson wrote:

It's actually theSMSCof lodgement which delivers theSMSto the
phone on whatever network the addressee uses.

According to what you are saying, my own carrier's SMSC configuration
is irrelevant in answering my question. What I really need to find out
is the validity period for SMS's on the sender's SMSC. And that
requires me to know the carrier of the sender!

Furthermore, according to this logic, if the SMS is undeliverable,
then the originating SMSC should implicitly know so and eventually
wash the charge for the sender, or not bill the sender until the
recipient acknowledges receipt.

Thanks!

Old May 29th 07, 03:39 AM posted to alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm
John Henderson

Brainsludge wrote:

According to what you are saying, my own carrier's SMSC
configuration is irrelevant in answering my question. What I
really need to find out is the validity period for SMS's on
the sender's SMSC. And that requires me to know the carrier of
the sender!

That's exactly how I understand it. Telstra, the carrier I
usually lodge with, has a 7-day maximum keep-time (last time I
checked). But with our wide-open spaces, slower travellers
could spend several days outside coverage areas.

Furthermore, according to this logic, if the SMS is
undeliverable, then the originating SMSC should implicitly
know so and eventually wash the charge for the sender, or not
bill the sender until the recipient acknowledges receipt.

I think the rationale is that you've used their resources to
lodge it, so they keep your money anyway. In fact, there are
certain SMSCs which will accept SMS lodgement from anyone (you
can change your SMSC in your message settings). Telstra charge
you the SMS sending fee even if you use one of these from a
Telstra SIM.

I don't know how your US carriers detect and charge for the
incoming segment of a successful delivery from another carrier.
But there'd be several ways of doing it.

John
Old May 30th 07, 07:18 PM posted to alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm
Brainsludge

On May 28, 10:39 pm, John Henderson wrote:

Telstra charge
you theSMSsending fee even if you use one of these from a
Telstra SIM.

I wonder how they know when you use a different SMSC. From what I
understand, sending an SMS is essentially the same as making a GSM
phone call to the SMSC number.

Also, I tried manually setting the "validity period" on an SMS to 1
hour and also asked for a "delivery report" (some sort of receipt
notification I imagine) using my Nokia 6600. So far it's been 36 hours
and I have not received an "undeliverable" error nor has the delivery
report come back conclusively (it says "pending"). I wonder if my
carrier ignores user-defined validity periods...

-B

SMS Lifetime on SMSC Brainsludge GSM 12 May 31st 07 02:56 AM
looking for paid SMSC Martin GSM 0 July 29th 06 06:16 PM
Can you force an SMS through a certain SMSC? steve king UK mobile telecoms 5 April 27th 05 12:06 AM
O2 SMSC having problems? BWGames UK mobile telecoms 3 October 13th 04 06:23 PM
SMSC - how do they work then? Peter Neal UK mobile telecoms 8 December 14th 03 04:29 PM