N80 Confused

Old August 27th 06, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Daniel

Default N80 Confused

Hi,

On the new N80 under;
menu\tools\settings\connection\access points
there are 3 item as default

O2 MMS
O2 WAP GPRS
O2 Mobile Web

I understand the first 2 but what is "O2 Mobile Web"?

Also there seems to be 101 ways to get to the web;
ie;
1: menu\services
2: press and hold "0" key which has an "i" icon
3: menu\my own\web
4: Press the multi medi key and select right shortcut
not to mention other shortcuts!

Do they all have there own set of settings or do they share them?

I'm trying to be able to select between access points when I connect to the
web, so i can choose "wlan" at home or "O2 wap gprs" when out and about.

No matter which config i setup i get either or, not a selection which i did
when i first got the phone. I've selected "always ask" but that anly
searches for wlan now?

I'm totally confused, any advice welcome.
(other than rtfm, cos it's crap!)

Thanks

Old August 27th 06, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
BORG

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 20:11:15 +0100, "Daniel" wrote:

Hi,

On the new N80 under;
menu\tools\settings\connection\access points
there are 3 item as default

O2 Mobile Web

Is what you use to browse the web and send e mails with
--

www.ratrodz.co.uk

XJ900 Trike ** GS850 Trike
XV1000 TR1 Chop

[Rot 13 it]

Some people are like slinkys....
no real use but it makes you smile when they fall down stairs!
Old August 27th 06, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Mehdi

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 20:11:15 +0100, Daniel wrote:

Also there seems to be 101 ways to get to the web;
ie;
1: menu\services
2: press and hold "0" key which has an "i" icon
3: menu\my own\web
4: Press the multi medi key and select right shortcut
not to mention other shortcuts!

There are 2 browser applications on the N80:
- the WAP browser called Services and accessible via menu - services or by
pressing and holding "0" (use it to browse WAP sites)
- the Web browser called Web and accessible from menu - my own - web as
well as via the multi-media key or the active standby screen or one of the
soft key in the active standbye screen if you have configured them to point
to the Web application. You can configure the shortcuts shown on the active
standby screen and those of the soft keys by going to menu - tools -
settings - phone - active stanby.

Do they all have there own set of settings or do they share them?

Services and Web have different set of settings.

I'm trying to be able to select between access points when I connect to the
web, so i can choose "wlan" at home or "O2 wap gprs" when out and about.

No matter which config i setup i get either or, not a selection which i did
when i first got the phone. I've selected "always ask" but that anly
searches for wlan now?

I'm totally confused, any advice welcome.

I'm confused too. After having launched either Web or Services, if you go
to Options - Settings you should be able to set the Access Point setting
to "Always ask" and it should always ask what access point you want to use.
Maybe you've encountered a bug in the firmware. There's been a new version
of the N80 firmware released recently (version 4). If that's not the one
you have, go to your Nokia service center to have your phone flashed to the
latest firmware (backup everything before as your phone will be reformated
in the process). Or if you're patient, wait until Nokia update their
firmware update tool
(http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,1522,,00.html?orig=/softwareupdate) to
support the N80 (which should happen very soon, some say as soon as
tomorrow).
Old August 28th 06, 12:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Daniel

Thanks,

I see now that the icons are slightly diff
Services (WAP Browser) is a globe
Web (Web Browser) is a globe but with stripes on it
Nice one Nokia ????

When settings are altered in Web, they also effect the settings in Services.

I set the access point settings in Web to "Always Ask" go to a bookmark;
It asks me "Connect"
Select "Yes"
Searching for available "Access Point"
Select Access Point list only shows "Search for WLAN" and not the 3 default
access points setup eg O2 WAP GPRS

Unless of course I set it to always use O2 WAP GPRS which is not what I
want.