Cingular/AT&T Phone Question

Old January 20th 05, 01:04 AM
Jerimiah

Default Cingular/AT&T Phone Question

If I choose to buy a used AT&T *Blackberry* of my friend can I go to a
Cingular store and have it activated on their network ? I was unsure
because of the merger and how everything works now ?

Thanks

-JL-

--
Jerimiah

Old January 20th 05, 01:53 AM
John Navas

In [email protected]_dot_com on Thu, 20 Jan 2005 01:04:37 GMT,
Jerimiah [email protected]_dot_com wrote:

If I choose to buy a used AT&T *Blackberry* of my friend can I go to a
Cingular store and have it activated on their network ? I was unsure
because of the merger and how everything works now ?

If it's locked to ATTWS, it can't be used with a Cingular SIM.

John Navas http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular
Old January 20th 05, 02:48 PM
Bob

Jerimiah wrote:
If I choose to buy a used AT&T *Blackberry* of my friend can I go to

Cingular store and have it activated on their network ? I was unsure
because of the merger and how everything works now ?

Thanks

-JL-

--
Jerimiah

Probably not. I nearly lost money on doing exactly that. I already
had an AT&T account, but they wouldn't add another line to my account.
So I had to convert the phone on that account to blackberry and put the
sim in the blackberry I purchased. Any new accounts will be with a
Cingular sim. They will only issue AT&T sim cards if a sim on an
existing line isn't working, but they won't send a new sim out to add a
line.

I really don't think this is right for the customer, but that's what
many reps have told me. Guess they want to do away with all the old
AT&T equipment.

One alternative would be to spend money to have it unlocked, but unless
you can get the blackberry dirt cheap, by the time you are done, you
could have just purchased a new one from Cingular.

Be careful.

Old December 14th 14, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jerimiah View Post
If I choose to buy a used AT&T *Blackberry* of my friend can I go to a
Cingular store and have it activated on their network ? I was unsure
because of the merger and how everything works now ?

Thanks

-JL-

--
Jerimiah

HI if you purchase blackberry phone from AT&T network then you can't use it in Cingular until you unlock it ..If you want to unlock your phone then either contact AT&T or else unlock it using sites like UnBBlock.com here they render unlock code for all blackberry mobile models at reliable cost ..After unlocking your blackberry phone you can freely use it with any GSM sim ...