Locked vs Unlocked

Old April 11th 06, 04:05 PM posted to alt.cellular.cingular

Default Locked vs Unlocked

I have a Motorola V551 with Cingular that is unlocked. I just added a
V557 to my plan for my wife. I am assuming that the V557 will be
locked. Does that mean I can't use any SIM besides the one that came
in it? I was hoping to just swap SIMS so I could have the new phone.
Old April 11th 06, 05:46 PM posted to alt.cellular.cingular

Hi Dick,

You can swap Cingular SIMS. You cannot, however, swap T-Mobile and
Cingular chips with the phone that you got for your wife. So you may
use the new phone

Sudhanshu

Old April 11th 06, 06:43 PM posted to alt.cellular.cingular

In article ,
Dick Hughes wrote:
I have a Motorola V551 with Cingular that is unlocked. I just added a
V557 to my plan for my wife. I am assuming that the V557 will be
locked. Does that mean I can't use any SIM besides the one that came
in it? I was hoping to just swap SIMS so I could have the new phone.

The locking is with respect to the carrier and not the individual phone or
SIM. If the new V557 phone is locked to Cingular, then **any** Cingular
SIM will be accepted. If you try a SIM from another carrier (e.g.
T-Mobile) the phone will ask for a subsidy code when it powers up.

Old April 11th 06, 10:06 PM posted to alt.cellular.cingular

On 11 Apr 2006 09:46:44 -0700, "
wrote:

Hi Dick,

You can swap Cingular SIMS. You cannot, however, swap T-Mobile and
Cingular chips with the phone that you got for your wife. So you may
use the new phone

Sudhanshu

Thanks. My wife won't be happy to hear that. :-)

Dick
Old April 12th 06, 09:32 PM posted to alt.cellular.cingular

Having just unlocked 2 V557s from Cingular, they only require you to be
a customer in good standing for over 90 days, with no outstanding
balance, to request by email the codes and procedure to unlock the
phones. Then you can use any SIM card. We did it for use overseas.
My daughter did the same thing with T-mobile for another phone.

Old April 13th 06, 02:59 PM posted to alt.cellular.cingular

I have been a Cingular customer in good standing since 2001. I have
requested the unlock codes for my two Sony Ericsson z500a's and have
been told I'm "not eligible" to have my phones unlocked becuase they do
not do that for customers "under contract". Any ideas?
I want to unlock them to buy a foreign sim card for a trip to Italy in
May.

Old April 16th 06, 12:17 AM posted to alt.cellular.cingular

Well I guess it must be the rule of three tries even for email. Here is the
response I got when I requested unlocking for foreign travel
Alan

"Thank you for contacting Cingular Wireless regarding unlock code for
your phone.

We understand your concern, however, it is the policy of Cingular
Wireless that we do not unlock equipment for the purposes of enabling
customers to use our equipment with other service providers. We apologize
for
any inconvenience this may cause.

We appreciate your understanding and valuable business with us.

Sincerely,
Kevin Kent W944"

wrote in message
I have been a Cingular customer in good standing since 2001. I have
requested the unlock codes for my two Sony Ericsson z500a's and have
been told I'm "not eligible" to have my phones unlocked becuase they do
not do that for customers "under contract". Any ideas?
I want to unlock them to buy a foreign sim card for a trip to Italy in
May.

I made my request via email, and had no problem getting an unlock code
from
Cingular for my v551. I said I was going to be travelling, and wanted the
unlock so I could use foreign SIMs. They added international roaming to
my
account, and sent the code.

--
---