improving reception indoors

Old February 3rd 06, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default improving reception indoors

OK, I've just got a house in the middle of nowhere and there's
no landline phone (and no prospect of one anytime soon).
My mobile is fine _outside_, but the 3-foot thick walls of the
house mean that there's no reception inside.
Although I can balance my phone on a window ledge, it's getting
pretty cold leaving the front door ajar so I can hear when it rings.

What I'd like is some sort of aerial extender or repeater that
will allow me to keep the phone inside thw house, even if it means
that it's tethered somewhere.
Does anyone here have any pointers to an external aerial I can
rig up to the phone, or a box of tricks that will boost the
two-way signal?

BTW, the phone's a V220. I've tried friends phones on different
networks (Voda, Orange etc.) same problem

Pete

--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Old February 3rd 06, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Peter Lynch wrote:
OK, I've just got a house in the middle of nowhere and there's
no landline phone (and no prospect of one anytime soon).
My mobile is fine _outside_, but the 3-foot thick walls of the
house mean that there's no reception inside.

You may find a different network is better.
As a comparison, I've got both a Virgin mobile (had Orange in the past
which was similar) and a O2 one.

I believe the transmitters are in the same location, but my house, like
yours has 2-3 feet thick walls.

Virgin/Orange works sometimes - in some places in the house, always with
1-2 bars at most.

O2, I've found three 6" across areas in the house where it doesn't work.
Old February 3rd 06, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Peter Lynch wrote:
|| OK, I've just got a house in the middle of nowhere and there's
|| no landline phone (and no prospect of one anytime soon).
|| My mobile is fine _outside_, but the 3-foot thick walls of the
|| house mean that there's no reception inside.
|| Although I can balance my phone on a window ledge, it's getting
|| pretty cold leaving the front door ajar so I can hear when it rings.
|| What I'd like is some sort of aerial extender or repeater that
|| will allow me to keep the phone inside thw house, even if it means
|| that it's tethered somewhere.
|| Does anyone here have any pointers to an external aerial I can
|| rig up to the phone, or a box of tricks that will boost the
|| two-way signal?
|| BTW, the phone's a V220. I've tried friends phones on different
|| networks (Voda, Orange etc.) same problem
|| Pete
|| --
|| . never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch
|| . . in a room with a tea cosy ...... Marlow, England
|| . . doesn't try it on (Billy Connolly)

I would suggest geting something like a "dock-n-talk", which would allow you
to leave your mobile on the windowsill, whilst also connecting a normal
telephone,. Then you could make & receive calls on the normal phone. Either
that or use a bluetooth headset.

Old February 4th 06, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Or there is http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/cellbear.jpg