Unlocked / Locked Phones - US to the UK

Old August 2nd 05, 09:46 PM

Default Unlocked / Locked Phones - US to the UK

How can I tell if my cell phone is unlocked or not? I'm heading to the
UK (I'm based in the States) and would like to use one of the prepaid
SIMs (either Virgin or O2 - anyone know which is better?), but I've
heard that a cell phone needs to first be unlocked.

Old August 2nd 05, 11:27 PM
Richard Colton

wrote in message
oups.com...
How can I tell if my cell phone is unlocked or not? I'm heading to the
UK (I'm based in the States) and would like to use one of the prepaid
SIMs (either Virgin or O2 - anyone know which is better?), but I've
heard that a cell phone needs to first be unlocked.

Well for starters, what phone is it?

Most SE handsets can gain access to the service menu by pressing ***
from the standby screen. In there you can check the status of your
SIMlocks. If you're planning on using Virgin, your handset will need to be
able to access GSM1800, and for O2 you'll need GSM900. Most SE handsets are
only tri-band, so you'll be lucky to be able to use both O2 and Virgin.

--
Unlock Your Phone's Potential
www.uselessinfo.org.uk

Old August 3rd 05, 12:18 AM

Well for starters, what phone is it?

It's a Sony Ericcson T616.

Most SE handsets can gain access to the service menu by pressing ***
from the standby screen.

I'm not quite sure what " *** " means.

In there you can check the status of your
SIMlocks. If you're planning on using Virgin, your handset will need to be
able to access GSM1800, and for O2 you'll need GSM900. Most SE handsets are
only tri-band, so you'll be lucky to be able to use both O2 and Virgin.

Hmm. In that case, I believe I can only use Virgin.

Old August 3rd 05, 02:50 AM
nightic

wrote in message
ups.com...

Well for starters, what phone is it?

It's a Sony Ericsson T616.

Most SE handsets can gain access to the service menu by pressing ***
from the standby screen.

I'm not quite sure what " *** " means.

denoting pushing the navigation button/joystick to the right

denoting pushing the navigation button/joystick to the left
* denoting pushing the star key (in the bottom left of the keypad)

Ignore any onscreen commands while entering the sequence.
A service menu 'should' appear when it's complete.

Old August 3rd 05, 06:09 AM
Yazzan Gable

In article . com,
wrote:

Well for starters, what phone is it?

It's a Sony Ericcson T616.

Hum. That's GSM 850/1800/1900. Go to
www.gsmworld.com and click on da
roaming maps. Click on GB. There will be a list of providers and
within that is network info. That will tell you if was frequency
they're on.

The only "world" band on that phone is GSM1800. GSM850/1900 are US
Frequencies.
Old August 3rd 05, 06:40 AM
[email protected]

Okay, so I performed this little number ( ***) on my phone and got
to the service menu. I went to the SIMlock option and it reads as
follows:

Network (picture of an unlocked padlock) 5
Network Subset (picture of an unlocked padlock) 5
Service Provider (picture of an unlocked padlock) 5
Corporate (picture of an unlocked padlock) 5

So this image of an unlocked padlock either means this is the number to
unlock my phone, or my phone is already unlocked?

More insight would be helpful.

Old August 3rd 05, 01:38 PM
Richard Colton

wrote in message
ups.com...

Well for starters, what phone is it?

It's a Sony Ericcson T616.

Then you'll only have access to GSM1800 networks whilst in the UK. That
means you can use Orange or T-Mobile. You can also use the virtual networks
that utilise T-Mobile's network infrastructure (Virgin, EasyMobile etc.)

HTH

Old June 30th 14, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by View Post
How can I tell if my cell phone is unlocked or not? I'm heading to the UK (I'm based in the States) and would like to use one of the prepaid SIMs (either Virgin or O2 - anyone know which is better?), but I've heard that a cell phone needs to first be unlocked.
HI yes you must first have to unlock your phone from USA network providers to freely use it with any GSM sim in Uk .You can easily unlock your phone using sites like ProUnlocking.com here they are rendering unlock code for all mobile models at reliable cost ....After unlocking your phone you can freely use it with any GSM sim in Uk...From my point of view o2 is the best provider compared to virgin .