Just a comment that root (so far) has been a lot of fun and functionality!

Old March 14th 17, 06:32 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Stijn De Jong[_2_]

Default Just a comment that root (so far) has been a lot of fun and functionality!

After rooting last week to test out Android backup as compared to iOS
backup, I have been having a lot of fun adding functionality to Android!

In fact, I installed so many root-only apps that I had to create a special
folder for them on my one very well organized desktop (which I have been
organizing and honing that organization since before cellphones have
existed, so it's one of the best-organized (IMHO) Android phones in the
world).

Here is a screenshot of the root-only folder as of this moment:
http://i.cubeupload.com/WICify.jpg

Rooting was a single button press using just my itty bitty device (my USB
port is dead so I couldn't use a USB cable to a computer).

Now, with root, I can log into other people's WPA networks, I can kick
other devices off the network, I can lower their network speeds, I can
remove any bloatware I want to remove, I can backup up "everything" (aka
the "real everything", not just the "iOS everything"), I can set power for
each app, I can load custom ROMs, I can remove all free app ads, I can
recover deleted files, I can record the screen with sound, I can show all
WiFi passwords, I can limit apps to the LAN, WAN, and downloads, I can
disable any service I want, I can change the CPU clock speed, I can
permanently freeze apps, etc.

Woo hoo! I guess, like running around with scissors in your hands, it's all
fun and games until someone gets hurt!

PS: If you have any suggested root-only apps, let me know so I can test
them out!
Old March 17th 17, 03:25 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
M.L.[_2_]

Here is a screenshot of the root-only folder as of this moment:
http://i.cubeupload.com/WICify.jpg

PS: If you have any suggested root-only apps, let me know so I can test
them out!

We share a few in common, but not the following:
Easy Backup
ES File Explorer/ES Task Manager
Lean Droid
Reboot Manager
Old March 20th 17, 09:31 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Anssi Saari

Stijn De Jong writes:

Here is a screenshot of the root-only folder as of this moment:
http://i.cubeupload.com/WICify.jpg

Seems like a lot. I have just Titanium Backup, Call Recorder, Quick Boot
and Better Battery Stats.
Old March 30th 17, 06:49 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Stijn De Jong[_2_]

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 21:25:28 -0500, M.L. wrote:

PS: If you have any suggested root-only apps, let me know so I can test
them out!

We share a few in common, but not the following:
Easy Backup
ES File Explorer/ES Task Manager
Lean Droid
Reboot Manager

UPDATE:
I've been rooted for about two weeks or so now, where these are my current
list of 28 root apps, kind of sort of somewhat in the order that I (hope
to) find them most (perhaps more like potentially) useful.

1. Root Checker = quick check to see that it's rooted
2. Titanium Backup = almost everyone's favorite backup program
3. System App Safe Remover (uninstall) = useful bloatware remover
4. Greenify
5. TWRP Manager
6. RootLogger
7. AdAway
8. DiskDigger
9. NetCut
10. RecMe = records the screen when needing to catch quick flashes
11. WPS Connect
12. WPS WPA TEST
13. Device Control
14. AFWall+
15. Undeleter = additional bloatware removal tool
16. Servicely
17. 3C Toolbox
18. Ice Box
19. ShellShock Scanners
20. Cryptography
21. ROM Manager
22. Online Nandroid Backup
23. FlashFire
24. Nandroid Manager
25. Xposed Installer = needed in order to install Wanam Xposed
26. Wanam Xposed = needed to set Device Status back to "Official"
27. Kingo ROOT = This is the single-click root method I used
28. SuperUser SU = This is problematic due to lack of USB port
Old March 30th 17, 07:19 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Stijn De Jong[_2_]

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 10:31:13 +0200, Anssi Saari wrote:

Seems like a lot. I have just Titanium Backup, Call Recorder, Quick Boot
and Better Battery Stats.

I'll try that Quick Boot as we can all always use a quicker bootup!

One issue I had was that of the ROM status for T-Mobile, which I fixed by
installing Wanam Xposed as follows below (in case someone wants to follow
in my footsteps):

1. Android Settings More About device Software update
"Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available."
http://i.cubeupload.com/p1tWxD.jpg

2. Android Settings More About device Status
"Device status = Custom"
http://i.cubeupload.com/XHbaDf.jpg

3. Install the "Xposed Installer" as per these instructions:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...any-custo.html
http://i.cubeupload.com/Qy5dXs.jpg

4. Download Wanam Xposed as per those instructions:
http://i.cubeupload.com/OWpWuk.jpg

5. Install Wanam Xposed as per those instructions:
http://i.cubeupload.com/1lpy0u.jpg

6. Reboot & run "Xposed Framework" & Wanam Xposed as instructed:
http://i.cubeupload.com/JHHLpr.jpg

7. In Wanam Xposed "Security Hacks", notice the "Fake system status":
"Status set to Custom" (unchecked)
http://i.cubeupload.com/B3qaCd.jpg

8. In Wanam Xposed, check the "Fake system status" checkbox:
"Status set to Official" (checked)
http://i.cubeupload.com/whb8w6.jpg

9. Doublecheck Android Settings More About device Status
"Device status = Official"
http://i.cubeupload.com/Q5qAoZ.jpg

10. Now you an run a software update even though you are rooted:
Android settings More About device Software update
"Software update. The device is up to date."
http://i.cubeupload.com/SP2Pjo.gif

Of course, there were no system updates, but, there was no way to tell
other than running the update (or was there?).

For reference, here are the instructions I followed:
1. Install Xposed Framework (a.k.a. Xposed Installer)
2. Tap on "Framework", then do it on "Install/Update"
3. Install Wanam Xposed
4. Open Xposed Installer, tap on "Modules" and check Wanam Xposed
5. Reboot the phone
6. Open Wanam Xposed, go to "Security Hacks"
7. Check (on System) "Fake System Status"
8. Reboot again...
9. Voil?, you can go back to updating OTA
Old March 30th 17, 07:34 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Stijn De Jong[_2_]

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 16:49:39 +0000 (UTC), Stijn De Jong wrote:

We share a few in common, but not the following:
Easy Backup
ES File Explorer/ES Task Manager
Lean Droid
Reboot Manager

I forgot to mention that I had ES File Explorer, but I'll also test out the
other three that you like which are rooted:
a. Easy Backup
b. Lean Droid
c. Reboot Manager

Here's what I have installed at the moment:
http://i.cubeupload.com/RRIqz9.jpg
Old March 30th 17, 07:41 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Stijn De Jong[_2_]

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 10:31:13 +0200, Anssi Saari wrote:

Seems like a lot. I have just Titanium Backup, Call Recorder, Quick Boot
and Better Battery Stats.

I forgot to mention that I also have Titanium Backup:
http://i.cubeupload.com/RRIqz9.jpg

And I forgot to mention that you can do "automatic call recording" without
needing root (at least I always have done so).

But I'll check out the Quick Boot (which seems to be called "Quick Reboot",
at least the one by AntaresOne Software is).

Did you mean Quick Reboot (and not Quick Boot?) perhaps?
This app seems similar to M.L.'s suggestion of "RebootManager".

Also, BetterBatteryStats seems to be a non-root app.
At least the one by Sven Knispel is.

Old March 30th 17, 07:46 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Stijn De Jong[_2_]

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 17:34:23 +0000 (UTC), Stijn De Jong wrote:

I forgot to mention that I had ES File Explorer, but I'll also test out the
other three that you like which are rooted:
a. Easy Backup
b. Lean Droid
c. Reboot Manager

It seems that both Easy Backup and Lean Droid don't need to be root.

At least not these versions:
Easy Backup & Restore by MDroid Apps
LeanDroid by TeqTic

Are you using different versions than those which I found in Google Play?
Old March 31st 17, 04:49 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Anssi Saari

Stijn De Jong writes:

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 10:31:13 +0200, Anssi Saari wrote:

Seems like a lot. I have just Titanium Backup, Call Recorder, Quick Boot
and Better Battery Stats.

I'll try that Quick Boot as we can all always use a quicker bootup!

I don't think Quick Boot does anything for boot speed. However, with
root it can boot to recovery or bootloader. My phone doesn't have those
options in the power menu unfortunately.
Old March 31st 17, 04:54 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Anssi Saari

Stijn De Jong writes:

And I forgot to mention that you can do "automatic call recording" without
needing root (at least I always have done so).

Really? How does that work?

Did you mean Quick Reboot (and not Quick Boot?) perhaps?
This app seems similar to M.L.'s suggestion of "RebootManager".

No, it's Quick Boot. I can't seem to find it in the app store so I guess
it's gone.

Also, BetterBatteryStats seems to be a non-root app.
At least the one by Sven Knispel is.

While BetterBatteryStats works without root it can still use root
priviledges to get more information.