Macmillan leaves Amazon (bye,bye Kindle)

Old February 1st 10, 06:34 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.comm,alt.cellular.attws,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Todd Allcock[_2_]

Default Macmillan leaves Amazon (bye,bye Kindle)

At 01 Feb 2010 04:45:33 -0800 SMS wrote:
Todd Allcock wrote:

Amazon WAS doing for ebooks what Apple had done for digital music-
convince publishers that low prices increases sales volume and reduces
consumers' urge to pirate what they can obtain legitimately at a
reasonable price.

At $15, piracy is going to greatly increase, sales of hard copy books
will increase, and more people will borrow books from the library. When
you compare eBook prices to hard copy books it's important to compare
the street prices, not the MSRPs. Hard copy books are heavily discounted,

usually 40-45% for best sellers at places like Costco, and even Borders
sends out endless coupons for 30-40% discounts. If they can keep eBooks
at 1/2 the street price of hard copy books the piracy problem would be
minor. If the eBook is more than the hard copy, there's a big
psychological barrier to overcome to get people to pay more.

I wonder if there's a way that libraries are going to be able to loan
eBooks the way they currently loan music and movies on discs, and the
way they loan audio books, both on CDs and those audio players with the
book already on them that you just plug your headphones into.

They already do- Overdrive, the company that administers the digital
download service for most libraries already does ebooks, both using Adobe
Digital Editions (ePub and PDF) that work on computers Sony and Nook, and
Mobipocket, which work on computers, smartphones, and with a slight hack,
the Kindle.

..
Old February 2nd 10, 12:12 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.comm,alt.cellular.attws,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
SMS

Todd Allcock wrote:

They already do- Overdrive, the company that administers the digital
download service for most libraries already does ebooks, both using Adobe
Digital Editions (ePub and PDF) that work on computers Sony and Nook, and
Mobipocket, which work on computers, smartphones, and with a slight hack,
the Kindle.

Yeah, now I recall my library doing that. The audio book downloads are
rather a pain because you have to listen to them on a computer unless
you want to remove the DRM and rip them to an MP3 file. The Adobe files
are okay and since you can check them out and renew them whenever you
want I don't see any reason to remove the DRM unless you want to read
the PDF on a Kindle or other reader (and apparently people have removed
the DRM to do just that).
Old February 2nd 10, 05:41 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.comm,alt.cellular.attws,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Todd Allcock[_2_]

At 01 Feb 2010 16:12:42 -0800 SMS wrote:
Todd Allcock wrote:

They already do- Overdrive, the company that administers the digital
download service for most libraries already does ebooks, both using
Adobe Digital Editions (ePub and PDF) that work on computers Sony and
Nook, and Mobipocket, which work on computers, smartphones, and with
a slight hack, the Kindle.

Yeah, now I recall my library doing that. The audio book downloads are
rather a pain because you have to listen to them on a computer unless
you want to remove the DRM and rip them to an MP3 file.

No, you can transfer them to any portable that handles protected .wma-
any PlaysForSure or WinMo device, like your SMT5800s. There's even an
Overdrive app for touchscreen WinMos that let you download directly to
the device.

I've read Zunes will play them as well, but I haven't tried on mine.

The Adobe files
are okay and since you can check them out and renew them whenever you
want I don't see any reason to remove the DRM unless you want to read
the PDF on a Kindle or other reader (and apparently people have removed
the DRM to do just that).

Sony readers can read Digital Editions EPub books without circumventing
the DRM, ad Kindles can use the Mobipocket format files without
circumventing the DRM.

There's a utility floating around to extract the Kindle's Mobipocket
Product ID ("PID") to input into Overdrive so the book can be read on
that device.

Amazon hides the Kindle's PID to try to lock you into Amazon content
instead of any other source of Mobi DRM'd books.

Instead of giving Kindle users access to their PID, Amazon gives each
Kindle a serial number for users to register at Amazon, but internally
the Kindle uses PIDs like any other Mobi reader.

Old February 2nd 10, 12:17 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.comm,alt.cellular.attws,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
SMS

Todd Allcock wrote:

They already do- Overdrive, the company that administers the digital
download service for most libraries already does ebooks, both using
Adobe Digital Editions (ePub and PDF) that work on computers Sony and
Nook, and Mobipocket, which work on computers, smartphones, and with
a slight hack, the Kindle.

Yeah, now I recall my library doing that. The audio book downloads are
rather a pain because you have to listen to them on a computer unless
you want to remove the DRM and rip them to an MP3 file.

No, you can transfer them to any portable that handles protected .wma-
any PlaysForSure or WinMo device, like your SMT5800s. There's even an
Overdrive app for touchscreen WinMos that let you download directly to
the device.

I expect that many, if not most, people that would like to play them
directly on a vehicle's audio system. I transfer them to an MP3 CD
(which can fit a couple of books) and in one of car vehicles the
receiver takes a USB stick.

Amazon hides the Kindle's PID to try to lock you into Amazon content
instead of any other source of Mobi DRM'd books.

Hmm, I wonder what Apple will do?

eBooks are the perfect product for libraries and eBook users alike. No
need to keep a fiction book forever.

Can you imagine what something like the iPad could do to the college
textbook industry? What student wouldn't love to carry an iPad instead
of a collection of textbooks.
Old February 3rd 10, 01:12 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.comm,alt.cellular.attws,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Tim McNamara

In article ,
SMS wrote:

Can you imagine what something like the iPad could do to the college
textbook industry? What student wouldn't love to carry an iPad
instead of a collection of textbooks.

Musicians, too. Thousands of pages of music in one small portable
device. But the screen has to be bigger, A4 or 8.5 x 11.

--
"I wear the cheese, it does not wear me."
Old February 3rd 10, 04:49 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.comm,alt.cellular.attws,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Per Rønne

Tim McNamara wrote:

In article ,
SMS wrote:

Can you imagine what something like the iPad could do to the college
textbook industry? What student wouldn't love to carry an iPad
instead of a collection of textbooks.

Musicians, too. Thousands of pages of music in one small portable
device. But the screen has to be bigger, A4 or 8.5 x 11.

Which suggests that there is a demand for a larger [and smaller] iPad
device.

• A larger for musicians and other users who want A4.
• A smaller for people who want it to fit into an inside blazer or other
kind of jacket pocket: A5.
--
Per Erik Rønne
http://www.RQNNE.dk
Old February 3rd 10, 05:35 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.comm,alt.cellular.attws,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Todd Allcock[_2_]

At 02 Feb 2010 04:17:20 -0800 SMS wrote:

[...]

Why not just jack your MP3 playe in? Why burn a CD for something you'll
listen to once?

Amazon hides the Kindle's PID to try to lock you into Amazon content
instead of any other source of Mobi DRM'd books.

Hmm, I wonder what Apple will do?

Toug question, but my money's on "sell you books through iTunes and make
damn sure no other DRM system is compatible..."

eBooks are the perfect product for libraries and eBook users alike. No
need to keep a fiction book forever.

Agreed. And with the ability to download from home, older books will be
virtually "on demand" if you do want to re-read them.

Can you imagine what something like the iPad could do to the college
textbook industry? What student wouldn't love to carry an iPad instead
of a collection of textbooks.

Agreed, although personally I think the iPad is a bit too big. Lots of
"wow" factor, but I'd personally rather lug something Kindle-sized around
(but higher-res for textbooks). I'll wager a Kindle-sized "iPad Mini"
surfaces within a few years, particularly if the iBooks store is a hit.

Old February 3rd 10, 07:01 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.comm,alt.cellular.attws,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
SMS

Todd Allcock wrote:
[...]

A CD costs 10 cents and means not running wires around. Especially on
cars that don't have an easy way to connect an MP3 player. Those FM
transmitters suck, and few cars have cassette players anymore to use a
cassette adapter.

Agreed. And with the ability to download from home, older books will be
virtually "on demand" if you do want to re-read them.

I thought it rather amusing that I had to put a hold on a downloadable
audio book, but I guess the library has to pay for each "copy".

Agreed, although personally I think the iPad is a bit too big. Lots of
"wow" factor, but I'd personally rather lug something Kindle-sized around
(but higher-res for textbooks). I'll wager a Kindle-sized "iPad Mini"
surfaces within a few years, particularly if the iBooks store is a hit.

Some people think the iPad is too small for textbooks.
Old February 6th 10, 09:31 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.comm,alt.cellular.attws,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
iPad: It's a Winner

Default It is over the $9.99 Ebook Is Dead was Macmillan leaves Amazon(bye,bye Kindle)

It looks like Amazon Kindle is doomed.
"Amazon's price advantage over iBooks, also evaporated."

The $9.99 Ebook Is Dead:
Third Major Publisher Hachette Dumps on Amazon

Amazon's ebook pricing structure has crumbled.

Hachette's the third major publisher to push for the agency model,
following MacMillan and HarperCollins: They'll set the ebook prices
(higher, natch) and the bookseller takes a cut. The $9.99 ebook? Poof.

http://gizmodo.com/5464742/the-999-e...umps-on-amazon

"Amazon's dream of a flat $9.99 for ebooks has flatlined.

Amazon's price advantage over iBooks, also evaporated. Even though
Amazon won't take losses on ebooks anymore to sell them cheaply, it's
a bad situation for them, because they lose that marketshare-building
advantage.

(That is, Amazon's happy to spend $50 subsidizing cheap books to hook
you into Kindle for life. If, eventually, they're the only game in
town, like iTunes was for music, then they'd have the power to push
back against publishers anyway.)

Amazon has two months before the iPad launches. They better move fast.
"

Old February 6th 10, 04:50 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.comm,alt.cellular.attws,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Tim McNamara

It's an interesting reversal. Apple did with iTunes pricing what Amazon
did with e-book pricing; they fought back against the recording industry
for a long time about variable pricing. But out of the box the
iBookstore, or whatever it will be called, is the lapdog of the
publishing world.

I'll continue to vote with my dollars. E-books are too expensive at $10
each, let alone $15 or $20. I've never bought one and never will until
the prices are sane (e.g., less than a paperback since they cost far
less to produce). Damned shame, too, since e-books don't have to
involve deforestation (hence why I buy almost all my books used).

But as always, greed trumps all in the publishing world. They had
nearly complete control of the sale and distribution of printed and
recorded material until the Xerox machine, desktop publishing and
digitization. They still try to pretend they have control in order to
protect their ability to exploit content creators and buyers, relying
now on lobbying and ever more draconian copyright laws. But publishing
houses and record companies are no longer necessary.

--
"I wear the cheese, it does not wear me."